John Lackey is in The Best Shape of His Life

Jan 23, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Spring inches closer …

This should make it hard to know if it’s actually Lackey on the mound. Hopefully we’ll be able to recognize him by his visible anger at infielders for not fielding the screaming line drives he gives up.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I love the response from @SullyBaseball…”I won’t recognize him because he will be in uniform and playing “

2. crispybasil - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

The 5+ ERA and lifeless fastball are dead giveaways, though.

• dcfan4life - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

So is the game time beer…

3. paperlions - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Apparently, his divorce during 2011 really took an emotional and physical toll on him. A year away may have been exactly what he needed both personally and professionally.

• redsoxbruins94 - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Yeah, I’m sure divorcing your cancer-ridden wife could take it’s toll on you.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Did he really? Dang.

• paperlions - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I didn’t say he wasn’t a giant doucher, just that the 2011 situation likely had a negative effect on his baseball performance.

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

In paperlions’ defense, I don’t think including the fact that he’s a complete douche is necessary anymore- it’s just automatically inferred when you say add the name Lackey to anything.

• baseballisboring - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Jesus, well when you word it like that…

I’m sure he didn’t divorce her cause she had cancer. I’m sure the day she was diagnosed he didn’t just say “Well, screw it, this one’s not gonna make it. Time to go divorce her and find a new one!” I mean wow.

• bruinsfan57 - Jan 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

really showed he a man of character with that classless move

4. kopy - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

2013 BSOHL Baseball Club

John Lackey, P – BOS
    CC Sabathia, P – NYY
    Javier Vazquez, P – FA
    Hanley Ramirez, SS/3B – LAD
    Neil Walker, 2B/3B – PIT
    Ryan Howard, 1B/DH – PHI
    Carlos Quentin, OF – SD

• DJ MC - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM

That team is already good enough to win the 2008 World Series.

5. nyyanksmf - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

John lackeys best shape of his life would be retired

6. tfbuckfutter - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

This turd I just polished is the shiniest it has ever been.

7. theonlynolan - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I bet his 6.45 ERA will aid in letting us know who’s on the bump even if the bump in his midsection is smaller.

8. bolweevils2 - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I don’t know that I’d write him off with a snarky comment so easily. If his 6.45 ERA was due to the elbow problem which led him to have Tommy John surgery, then it could be plausible he’ll return to his old form. Or, at least to a more aged version of his old form. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him pitch 180 innings of low 4s ERA ball.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM

His old form of 2010 when he had an ERA+ of 99?

Well….yeah that would be BETTER.

• 18thstreet - Jan 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Average is underrated. If the Red Sox had one more average pitcher in 2011, they wouldn’t have collapsed.

• bigharold - Jan 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

“… it could be plausible he’ll return to his old form. Or, at least to a more aged version of his old form.”

The guy is a career 4-5 starter. He had one pretty good year, 2007, the rest of the time very pedestrian. Since then his WHIP, H/9 & BB/9 have gone up while his SO/9 is gpoing down. Now, in the AL East, I double dog dare him to return to a 34 year old version of his old form.

Good shape or not the snarky remarks will continue. And, if he gets off to a shaky or poor start the Nation will eat him alive.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4952)