Luke Scott could be back with the Rays this year

Jan 23, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT

luke scott getty Getty Images

The Rays are in search of a designated hitter, and with Delmon Young off the table, the options are dwindling. Which has them looking at bringing back an old friend: Luke Scott. Marc Topkin reports that there’s a “mutual interest” between Scott and the Rays at a reunion.

Scott hit a Delmon Young-esque .229/.285/.439 with 14 homers and a .725 OPS last season, but I suppose if the options are poor, you go with the devil you know.

Upside: if he stays with the Rays I’ll be able to continue using the pic that accompanies this post for several more months. I really, really love this pic.

1. stex52 - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Well, it was either sign with the Rays or lead that wagon train to Utah. When I was younger I always thought it would be cool to grow a set of mutton chops like that. But mid-19th century retro was a little too much for me.

It seems to set Luke’s overall mindset, though.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM

How can you not be intimidated with Wolverine on the mound?

2. proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

The Luke Scott’s of the baseball world are the new market inefficiency.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

It’s a complex market, but apparently an innovative one. New market inefficiencies are springing up everywhere.

• indaburg - Jan 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Funny, he was also the old market ineffiency.

3. historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I hope “and with Delmon Young off the table” appears in all of Craig’s posts now. I’ll smile every time.

• heyblueyoustink - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

The only time Delmon young is really off the table is when he’s at the table, gorging himself.

4. Gamera the Brave - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Bet that dude raises a mean barn!
    And think of the cabinets he can (presumably) build!…

• mrfloydpink - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Mose Schrute?

5. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Makes sense, he showed signs of productivity but it never lasted long due to injury. He seemed to be a good fit in the clubhouse and there aren’t many other options out there, might as well take the small risk and hope he’s a little less injury prone this time around.

6. indaburg - Jan 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Guess the Rays are aiming for another 3rd place finish.

7. 13arod - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

you know good in first couple of months then got injured couple of times don’t know why they are trying to bring him bacj

8. bigmeechy74 - Jan 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I’d rather have delmon young than this loser

All the trade deadline news to know