MLB makes it official: the 2015 All-Star Game will be in Cincinnati

Jan 23, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT

This was reported the other day, but now it’s official:

The announcement was made by Commissioner Selig who is in Cincinnati today to make another announcement as well: Major League Baseball’s $1.5 million to the development of the Reds MLB Urban Youth Academy.  It’s a new facility that will provide free, year-round baseball and softball instruction and educational programs to kids in the Queen City.

2015 will mark the All-Star Game’s first visit to Cincinnati since 1988. Which I still think of as Chris Sabo’s coming out party. Chris Sabo just turned 51. I feel very old.

1. cackalackyank - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Wow, 5th All Star game in Cincinnati, and first since 1988? Just curious, but does this make it the most for any one franchise? I know the Red(legs) are the oldest franchise, but it seems like it might be a bit of an imbalance. (Leaving aside Loria punishment calculations, which are fine.)

• jm91rs - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

27 years between games seems pretty fair to me.

• stoutfiles - Jan 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Nope. Reds will not have the most, even with 5. Possibly tied for it, didn’t calculate Yankees vs. the others.

Cardinals – 5
      Pirates – 5
      Indians – 5
      Tigers, Phillies, Nats, Red Sox – 4

Chicago (Cubs/White Sox) – 7
      New York (Yankees/Mets/Dodgers) – 8 (soon to be 9)

2. steelers88 - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

So when are they going to put the All Star game in Philadelphia?

• blues1988 - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:24 PM

you guys got the winter classic tho! i’d kill for a winter classic at Busch Stadium but with global warming and all it’ll never be cold enough in january for us to be able to pull it off!

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

LOL! Yeah really. That Global Warming is fierce.
        ZERO yesterday morning and 12 this morning.

3. professormaddog31 - Jan 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Hold up. Chris Sabo is 51? Well, crap. I remember when I was a kid, I begged my dad to take me to a Reds/Tigers exhibition game in Memphis, at glorious Tim McCarver Stadium (a dump if there ever was one). I was most excited to see Chris Sabo in action. And now he’s 51. Don’t I feel like a sack of meat…

4. kicksave1980 - Jan 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Chris Sabo used to play hockey at the rink here in Cincinnati that my league plays in until he took a pretty nasty elbow in a game a couple years ago. Pretty solid hockey player. As a St. Louisan living in Cinci, I hate the Reds, but I’m happy the ASG is coming to town.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4893)