Pearl Jam to play Wrigley Field this July

Jan 23, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

From the Chicago Tribune:

Pearl Jam will be playing at Wrigley Field Friday, July 19, the band confirmed this morning … Tickets will go on sale Feb. 9 at 10 a.m. central, according to concert promoter Live Nation. Tickets will be available at www.tickets.com or by calling 1-800-THE-CUBS. Tickets will not be available at the Wrigley Field Box Office.

The most relevant commentary I’ve seen regarding the matter:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I was going to make some snarky quip about wanting to return to 1991 when both the Cubs and Pearl Jam were good. Then I realized that the Cubs kinda sucked in 1991 too.

• nategearhart - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Personally, i think Pearl Jam rebounded quite nicely from their late-90’s excursion into weirdness; I’ve really dug their last two tapes.

Oh yeah…[Insert Ticketmaster joke here].

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I would say they sound like a good classic rock band now. Which is not all bad, but is somewhat disappointing after they seemed like they could add something new and good to the music scene for a while there.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Tapes? hahahahaha

• Tim OShenko - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I actually enjoyed their late-90s excursion into weirdness. It was the early-00s excursion into politically-charged lameness that turned me off. That said, they have indeed found their bearings and returned to making excellent rock records.

• nategearhart - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Fair enough, Tim. I have at least one friend whose favorite Pearl Jam album is Yield, so I know you aren’t alone.

• cackalackyank - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM

It’s a tough call on Pearl Jam, but it is a safe bet the Cubs kinda sucked for @ 95 out of the last 105 seasons.

• tsutor88 - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Pearl Jam is as real as it gets. In a society dominated by fake smiles and radio songs

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

There’s no way I’m swinging on the flippity-flop with a bunch of lamestains like Pearl Jam. They used to be pretty score, but now they’re just another part of the tom-tom club. I’d rather be bound-and-hagged, sitting around bloated in my wacky slacks than go out and give that cobb nobbler Eddie Vedder any of my money. Totally harsh realm.

• kevinbnyc - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I have no idea what any of that means.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Sometimes a joke completely whiffs.

3. professormaddog31 - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

If Eddie doesn’t break out “Someday We’ll Go All the Way” I’m going to be really disappointed.

That had better make it onto YouTube or something, damn it.

4. loungefly74 - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

love PJ. after all the changes in music…they are still around and putting out great music. saw them a couple years ago, they were great. they came out when i was a senior in high school. something about music from that time that just sticks with ya for the rest of your life. right on.

oh…come on, man…way more “whiter” things than that!

5. mreezybreezy - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM

“Whitest Thing ever”???

While I agree there will be no shortage of caucasians in attendance, I feel it necessary to point out that:

– Elton John
    – Paul McCartney
    – Jason Aldean
    – Brad Paisley
    – Billy Joel

… have all performed at Wrigley as well. I’m gonna need ‘Duk to “show his work” on how he came to this specific a conclusion.

• worldseriestiger - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

you forgot Dave Matthews Band and Jimmy Buffett…based on history I don’t think Wu-Tang is in line for a show at Wrigley any time soon

6. proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Pearl Jam? Isn’t that one of those hand made jams that are sold at farmers markets. Usually, that type of jam comes with a frilly cloth over the lid, which is held in place by a cute ribbon.

• cur68 - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I sure hope you don’t expect ME to help you out. I’m disqualified from knowing anything this here “Pearl Jam”. I DO have an Aunty Pearl, though. She’s Chinese. Doesn’t make jam as far as I’m aware. If she DID make jam, I’m certain it would be excellent, as is all her cookery. So, to sum up, if you DID see some of my Aunt Pearl’s Jam, get some. But you won’t, since there is no such thing. Anyhow, I highly doubt this here “Pearl Jam” is real. I bet Craig made them up like other people over there make up things like “Nebraska” and “Amarillo”.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Didn’t Dorothy dream up Nebraska and wasn’t Amarillo Slim a stage name dreamt up by some poker player?

• cur68 - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Could be. I seem to recall some names like that from popular fiction and TV. Don’t let them fool ya, though. People get on here and claim all sorts of things like “Wyoming” and “Columbus”. You’d think there’d be a screening process to weed out people spreading misinformation on the intertubes, but no. Its a madhouse.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Back to the recipe for Pearl Jam. You take whatever fruit jam that you have available and add tapioca. It is not that complicated to make.

Speaking of the alleged name “Wyoming”, I do remember reading a piece of fiction called Green Grass of Wyoming written by someone who called himself/herself Mary O’Hara. I believe that it featured some horses named Flicka, Banner and Thunderhead. All the names were obviously totally made up.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM

PC, you might enjoy their cover of “Last Kiss” (one of those old teen tragedy tunes from the 50’s & 60’s).

• proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I never liked “The Last Kiss”. Too maudlin for my taste.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I feel the same way whenever someone sings Tell Laura I Love Her to me.

• kevinbnyc - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM

They’re going to play in London (the Canadian version, not England) as well. A gentleman of your order would certainly enjoy their brand of music.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Much too modern for me. I am stuck in the 50’s to 70’s era. As far as London Ontario is concerned, I went there last week. I also visited Paris and Woodstock.

7. El Bravo - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM

This might be the first concert at Wrigley I have a desire to see.

8. darthicarus - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Need to convince my wife this would be an excellent road trip for my birthday. Just need a babysitter and money….on second thought maybe I will just download their official bootleg.

• darthicarus - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM

And a pair of GA/lower level tickets from the Ten Club will cost $168. Sigh

9. nelsonsaint - Jan 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM

“Whitest” is a typo. It should have read “worst.”

10. philliesblow - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Nothing in the history of all that is white is whiter than Pat Boone’s cover version of “Tutti Frutti”.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM

and his shoes!

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3461)