Jan 23, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Herrera asked for a $1 million salary and was offered $800,000 by the Colorado front office when figures were exchanged late last week. It didn’t take very long for the two sides to find the middle ground.
Herrera, who was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, batted .262/.317/.351 over 86 games last season. He was used defensively at second base, third base and shortstop.
The 28-year-old native of Venezuela is a .259/.323/.324 career hitter in the major leagues.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 42
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29