Jan 23, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Herrera asked for a $1 million salary and was offered $800,000 by the Colorado front office when figures were exchanged late last week. It didn’t take very long for the two sides to find the middle ground.
Herrera, who was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, batted .262/.317/.351 over 86 games last season. He was used defensively at second base, third base and shortstop.
The 28-year-old native of Venezuela is a .259/.323/.324 career hitter in the major leagues.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)