Jan 23, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Herrera asked for a $1 million salary and was offered $800,000 by the Colorado front office when figures were exchanged late last week. It didn’t take very long for the two sides to find the middle ground.
Herrera, who was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, batted .262/.317/.351 over 86 games last season. He was used defensively at second base, third base and shortstop.
The 28-year-old native of Venezuela is a .259/.323/.324 career hitter in the major leagues.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)