Jan 23, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dodgers left-hander Scott Elbert underwent a “left elbow arthroscopy” on Wednesday afternoon in Los Angeles. This is Elbert’s second elbow surgery in the last four months. He will require a six-week rehab and is doubtful to be ready for Opening Day.
Elbert posted a superb 2.20 ERA in 43 appearances last season for the Dodgers. The 27-year-old owns a 3.61 career ERA in 92 1/3 total big league innings.
The Dodgers — intimately aware of Elbert’s lingering elbow problems — signed lefty reliever J.P. Howell to a one-year, $2.85 million free agent contract earlier this month.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)