Jan 23, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dodgers left-hander Scott Elbert underwent a “left elbow arthroscopy” on Wednesday afternoon in Los Angeles. This is Elbert’s second elbow surgery in the last four months. He will require a six-week rehab and is doubtful to be ready for Opening Day.
Elbert posted a superb 2.20 ERA in 43 appearances last season for the Dodgers. The 27-year-old owns a 3.61 career ERA in 92 1/3 total big league innings.
The Dodgers — intimately aware of Elbert’s lingering elbow problems — signed lefty reliever J.P. Howell to a one-year, $2.85 million free agent contract earlier this month.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)