Jan 23, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
The Indians lost their DH when they wisely declined to exercise the option they had on Travis Hafner. A possible replacement? How about Travis Hafner? Or, barring that, Jim Thome? That’s what Jon Heyman is reporting, anyway.
Hafner played in only 66 games last season, hitting .228/.346/.438 with 12 homers. Thome, who is seven years Hafner’s senior, played in only 58, hitting .252/.344/.442 with eight dingers.
So, no, neither one is an ideal solution. At least not unless they invent a surgery to turn one of them instantly right-handed and the rosters are expanded to 26, allowing the Indians to run a DH-only platoon.
But hey, famous names.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)