The Yankees are apparently junior high schoolers now

Jan 23, 2013, 7:46 AM EST

Texas Rangers v New York Yankees, Game 4 Getty Images

Sometimes I think that covering the Yankees is like covering junior high school. Except even junior high school news can be more substantive than “She called him! Did he ever call her back?!!”

Kevin Youkilis never had a problem letting Joba Chamberlain know how he felt on the field, but he’s giving him the silent treatment now. Chamberlain — who had a longtime feud with Youkilis while the third baseman was on the Red Sox — said the new Yankee never returned the voicemail the pitcher left him after Youkilis signed with the Bombers in December. Is it lingering bad blood or just bad cell phone service? We probably won’t know until the new teammates — or is it frenemies? — actually talk to each other.

Further reports indicate that Chamberlain’s best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Youkilis pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

In other news, the Yankees need to sign someone or make a trade or something because I think their beat writers are going a bit loopy.

1. woodenulykteneau - Jan 23, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Now? As opposed to…

2. chadjones27 - Jan 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Love the Ferris reference.
    But beyond that, this doesn’t seem like much news until something comes out about an actual spat between the two and some type of locker room division. I’d have to assume that Yankee brass took this into consideration prior to the signing. They’ll be BFFs in no time.

• baseballisboring - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Sometimes people call me and I never get around to calling them back. I mean, it happens.

• fredverd - Jan 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Just wondering if it is possible that the Yankee brass quietly (and privately) told Youk not to worry about Joba — maybe he’s scheduled to be a chip in the trade market to procure a (big) righthanded bat…

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Craig, why are you dissing the beat writers about this story? I mean…obviously, Joba has an issue with Youk not calling him back if he felt the need to tell it to a beat writer. It’s not like they used an anonymous source or were guessing about something from someone off the record. Joba actually says that he is “bound to run into him at some point…we’re both grown men” As far as I am concerned, this is an issue until they put aside their differences. And if Youk decides to still be pissed come spring training, then there is no question this can fester into something more than just a “junior high school beef”.

Honestly, there are a ton of things to rip the reporters about…this definitely isn’t one of them. This is a legitimate story.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I hope Youk and Joba have a full-out brawl during spring training and make all you down-thumbers feel stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Hey Chris, are you BFF with everyone at your office? Joba got it right. They are both grown men on the same team. The story is a bit of a reach.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Again, I am only reacting to what Joba said. Joba said he left a message and didn’t hear back from Youk. Joba said he “did everything I can do”. Joba said he “wasn’t surprised that Youk didn’t respond. We’re grown men. I’m bound to run into him at some point”.

He could have simply said, right from the start, that he is fine with Youk and that he can’t wait for the season to start. But instead, he made it clear he didn’t hear back from him and that they are grown men who will eventually run into each other.

I guess we will see if it becomes more of a story than Joba has already made it out to be.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Stomp your foot again, dude. That was awesome!

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

How can someone go 0 and 21 on one post…then 16 and 1 three posts later?

Roses are Red
        Violets are Blue
        I’m a schizophrenic
        So am I

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Maybe b/c we aren’t in junior high and it’s not personal when we disagree with you. We can totally dislike one thing you say and like another. We’re adult like that.

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Chris, what philiac said. Nothing personal in all of this.

But if I were you, I wouldn’t count thumbs up and down anyway. Say what you think. You could be right and all the rest of us wrong. What does it matter if we disagree?

• ctony1216 - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yes, but did Jeter send flowers to A-Rod during his hospital stay? Did A-Rod send Jeter a Get Well card after his ankle surgery? Clearly, this team is coming apart at the seams, and it’s not even April yet.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Hopefully, Jeter’s assistant didn’t send A-Rod the wrong basket. That could make it really awkward in the clubhouse.

4. proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Unless they start throwing punches or baseballs at each other, this is a non issue.

5. mazblast - Jan 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM

How can the beat writers be “going a bit loopy” when they’ve been loopy for years? The level of minutiae, trivia, speculation, and outright fiction in the scribblings of Yankee writers is almost unparalleled in major league sports.

• zzalapski - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Boston sportswriters say hello.

6. urfinished - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The Youk signing was horrendous…period. Chavez signs for $7 mil less…way to go Cashman. This move alone deserves to get him fired.

• cackalackyank - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Not likely. NYY needed an everyday option at 3rd for at least the first 3 months of the season, Chavez is at best a 3 out of every five day option at this point. Youk, while having a history of injuries is a competitor, and respectable at 3rd and 1st. He was arguably the best option out there, and was willing to take the one year deal. Obviously this changes a bit if he gets hurt during April, May or June. Would also change if he and Joba scratch each others eyes out. Bottom line ifKei Igawa didn’t get Cashman canned, I do not think there is any way this signing will.

7. snowbirdgothic - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I, for one, look forward to the moment when Joba and Youk, along with Tex, Robby Cano, and Derek Jeter (as cool girl Claire) go pelting down the hallway to find the weed Joba’s got stashed in his locker while Simple Minds blares in the background.

• snowbirdgothic - Jan 24, 2013 at 1:26 AM

So, six neo-maxi-zoom-dweebies. Got it.

8. uyf1950 - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

You talk about a story grasping at straws for a headline.

9. smoochytherhino - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Nothing wrong with a little bad blood in the Yankee clubhouse. It worked in the late ’70s. I am even more interested to see what Youk would do if the Yanks and Sox got in a bench clearing brawl this season. Would he just run around in circles confused?

10. aceshigh11 - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Can’t wait for Youkilis to go berserk after striking out four times in one game and putting Joba’s head through the drywall.

• cackalackyank - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

The scenario I see is more like this: Joba blows a lead. Back in the dugout Joba body slams Youk into the bat rack because he feels Youk didn’t play close enough to the line to prevent the screaming double that scored the tying and go ahead runs. Youk then kills Joba.

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The scenario I see is similiar, but in mine, the Yankees have jumped the shark and added in a Cousin Oliver-type character, who Joba and Youk take turns beating to death with bats before turning on each other.

11. jaybird22seven - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM

So not only does everyone else hate the Yankees. There is hate between the Yankees themselves. Have fun this year geriatrics!!!

12. lewp - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I resent the loopy reference..lolol see what I did there?

Chris, you can’t question the writers slamming the writers. It won’t get you any points with the Craig followers….just saying.

Oh and Craig, I’m ready for Rangers news now.

13. eriknatsfan - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Boohm boohm. Chick. Chickachickaaaahhhh. Oh yeaaaah.

14. tfbuckfutter - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I think the problem is that Joba likes likes Kevin, but Kevin only likes Joba.

15. theonlynolan - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Frenemies? Seriously? Wtf?

16. cackalackyank - Jan 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I can’t speak to why Youk didn’t reply, but assuming this really happened at all I think it might demonstrate some class on Joba’s part. If Joba’s motivation is along the lines of ‘Hey Youk, welcome to the Yanks. I know you’re a real competitor, and we’ve had some issues as opponents,b ut I am glad you’re on my team now. Look forward to playing on the same side now” it would show some maturity.

• teaspoon1731 - Jan 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM

True, but crying to a beat writer that he didn’t get a call back shows the exact opposite

17. sportsdrenched - Jan 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Good Lawd, the season, spring trainging, anything needs to start NOW.

18. anxovies - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

OK, pack it in guys, the bell rung. Time to get to class or we will have to stay after school.

19. Jeff - Jan 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Any bad news about the Yankees is good news for everyone else.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

This is a fact cause it’s always true.

20. mccourty1sland - Jan 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Two finalists in an ugly contest

21. bruinsfan57 - Jan 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Youk signed with the enemy…he is now a non-entity, just like Clemens, Boggs and Damon before him.

• klingonj - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

(background screaming sawx fans) you’re dead to me now

• Coffee & A Review - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Yeah…except not really.

It’s not as if Youk left the Sox to sign a more lucrative contract with the Yankees. No, Youk was thrown under the bus, so to speak, by the Sox FO. They traded him away in order to placate their crap choice for manager Bobby V.

I’m not thrilled at the prospect of seeing Youk in pinstripes, but he didn’t turn his back on us.

22. electstat - Jan 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Most of the time I feel like I am reading a junior high newsletter on here.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You should get extra help with your reading, unless you are of junior high age.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5026)
  2. M. Kemp (3530)
  3. J. Upton (2761)
  4. J. Kang (2755)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2671)
  1. C. McGehee (2669)