Johnny Cueto is in “great shape”

Jan 24, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT

cueto getty Getty Images

This is not a BSOHL post. This is a mere update to an injured player post. The player: Reds ace Johnny Cueto, who last we saw, was leaving the playoffs thanks to a bum oblique muscle. His general manager says he’s doing much better now, however:

“Cueto’s in great shape,” Walt Jocketty said. “We just saw him in the Dominican. We had a group of people there, and they said he’s in great physical shape. He feels good, the side is good, he’s throwing. He should be 100 percent.”

That’s good news for the Reds. They had a great rotation last year, but they were extremely reliant on the top 5 guys, as opposed to rotation depth. They need Cueto and everyone else to be healthy in order to repeat.

1. RedHeadedBastard - Jan 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM

But is he in the Best Shape of His Life?!

2. kurtstallings - Jan 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If I was a GM, I’d be a little concerned about about Cueto. Roughly 1500 guys are in serious competition for roster slots in the MLB, and while in “great shape,” Cueto seems to be the only one who isn’t “in the best shape of his life.”

3. Old Gator - Jan 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Perhaps, but I’d be willing to bet that his extra Y chromosome is still just as big and mean and ugly as ever.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It makes it easier to go spikes up on that ass Gator.

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yeah, this would be a great time to move him to second base, wouldn’t it?

4. hotkarlsandwich - Jan 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Kickboxing?

5. jm91rs - Jan 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM

You guys let me down. I put the over under on 15 minutes before this story got comments from people that can’t get out of the past and think Cueto is a kickboxer who happens to throw a nice fastball. It took a full half hour before it was mentioned that one of the best pitchers in Baseball for the last 3 years one time made a bad decision when his back was against the wall in a full on brawl.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Yes. I will give you that. His back was very much against the wall.
      As a result of getting caught up in the scrum by trying to dance around and sucker punch someone. I got it DVR’d. Watch it on a semi-regular basis when all my Redlegs loving buddies come over and start talking shit about it (typically during the course of a Cardinals/Reds game). Of course…after watching the replay they pipe down real quick.
      But yeah…his back was against the wall. Watch. The. Replay.

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I would agree that kicking in the head of a guy who was already lying at your feet qualifies as a “bad decision,” but only if, as an observer, you weren’t raised in the carriage house out back by the dogfighting pit.

6. mrredlegz - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM

No one gives 2 shits. Let. It. Go.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Yeah…but someone gives 1 shit. So you let you it go at 2 shits…but keep remembering 1 shit?
      I will try to remember that. I am sure it will help at some point.

7. flushdownmikebrown - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Yea, I just wish he spiked the cardinals even harder…. Bottom line, he is awesome and puts those numbers up in GABP vs Bush Stadium

He is better than any of the chumps on the cards…. carpenter sucks and is washed up. Wainwright will never be same and Garcia was 1 yr wonder….

Reds own the cards