Jan 24, 2013, 9:03 PM EST
Paulino, who turns 32 in April, batted .254 (16-for-63) with three doubles, five RBI and a .567 OPS in 20 games with the Orioles last season. He has a .700 OPS over eight seasons in the majors, including an .844 OPS against southpaws.
The Mariners traded John Jaso to the Athletics last week in the three-team Michael Morse deal, so Jesus Montero currently projects to get the majority of the playing time behind the plate. Paulino could serve as the backup, though the Mariners will likely continue to look for depth in the days ahead.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)