Jan 24, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
Paulino, who turns 32 in April, batted .254 (16-for-63) with three doubles, five RBI and a .567 OPS in 20 games with the Orioles last season. He has a .700 OPS over eight seasons in the majors, including an .844 OPS against southpaws.
The Mariners traded John Jaso to the Athletics last week in the three-team Michael Morse deal, so Jesus Montero currently projects to get the majority of the playing time behind the plate. Paulino could serve as the backup, though the Mariners will likely continue to look for depth in the days ahead.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)