Jan 24, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The last time we checked in with Pat White was in March of 2011 after he informed the Royals of his intention to retire from baseball. Nearly two years later, he’s thinking about giving it another shot.
According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, White said on 640-AM in Miami today that he has an offer in hand from the Marlins. If he accepts, he will report to spring training to attempt to win a spot with one of the team’s minor league affiliates. However, the Marlins have their doubts about whether White is committed to baseball, as the 26-year-old indicated that he was open to a return to football while mingling at the practices for the Senior Bowl earlier this week.
While White is known mostly for his time as a quarterback at West Virginia University and his bust of a season with the Dolphins in 2009, he was a highly-regarded high school outfielder. He was even drafted twice by the Angels and later by the Reds and Yankees. His last stint in baseball didn’t go so well, as he gave up after playing the fall instructional league with the Royals, but there’s no harm in giving him a chance if a return to the NFL isn’t in the cards.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 40
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 44
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months