Jan 24, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
The last time we checked in with Pat White was in March of 2011 after he informed the Royals of his intention to retire from baseball. Nearly two years later, he’s thinking about giving it another shot.
According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, White said on 640-AM in Miami today that he has an offer in hand from the Marlins. If he accepts, he will report to spring training to attempt to win a spot with one of the team’s minor league affiliates. However, the Marlins have their doubts about whether White is committed to baseball, as the 26-year-old indicated that he was open to a return to football while mingling at the practices for the Senior Bowl earlier this week.
While White is known mostly for his time as a quarterback at West Virginia University and his bust of a season with the Dolphins in 2009, he was a highly-regarded high school outfielder. He was even drafted twice by the Angels and later by the Reds and Yankees. His last stint in baseball didn’t go so well, as he gave up after playing the fall instructional league with the Royals, but there’s no harm in giving him a chance if a return to the NFL isn’t in the cards.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)