Jan 24, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The last time we checked in with Pat White was in March of 2011 after he informed the Royals of his intention to retire from baseball. Nearly two years later, he’s thinking about giving it another shot.
According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, White said on 640-AM in Miami today that he has an offer in hand from the Marlins. If he accepts, he will report to spring training to attempt to win a spot with one of the team’s minor league affiliates. However, the Marlins have their doubts about whether White is committed to baseball, as the 26-year-old indicated that he was open to a return to football while mingling at the practices for the Senior Bowl earlier this week.
While White is known mostly for his time as a quarterback at West Virginia University and his bust of a season with the Dolphins in 2009, he was a highly-regarded high school outfielder. He was even drafted twice by the Angels and later by the Reds and Yankees. His last stint in baseball didn’t go so well, as he gave up after playing the fall instructional league with the Royals, but there’s no harm in giving him a chance if a return to the NFL isn’t in the cards.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)