Jan 24, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
Free-agent outfielder Nyjer Morgan has signed with the Yokohama DeNA BayStars of Japan’s Central League. The team says the 32-year-old Morgan will join the BayStars on a one-year-deal worth $1.6 million.
Probably better than he could do in the U.S., where he was likely to be limited to a minor league deal at best, with around the same sort of money coming in the event he made a team. Now he’s guaranteed that. I just hope he can bring his cat with him.
Morgan, who is 32, had his worst season in the bigs last year, hitting .239/.302/.308 in 322 plate appearances. He’s also an International Smooth Operator:
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)