Jan 24, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
Free-agent outfielder Nyjer Morgan has signed with the Yokohama DeNA BayStars of Japan’s Central League. The team says the 32-year-old Morgan will join the BayStars on a one-year-deal worth $1.6 million.
Probably better than he could do in the U.S., where he was likely to be limited to a minor league deal at best, with around the same sort of money coming in the event he made a team. Now he’s guaranteed that. I just hope he can bring his cat with him.
Morgan, who is 32, had his worst season in the bigs last year, hitting .239/.302/.308 in 322 plate appearances. He’s also an International Smooth Operator:
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)