Jan 24, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
Free-agent outfielder Nyjer Morgan has signed with the Yokohama DeNA BayStars of Japan’s Central League. The team says the 32-year-old Morgan will join the BayStars on a one-year-deal worth $1.6 million.
Probably better than he could do in the U.S., where he was likely to be limited to a minor league deal at best, with around the same sort of money coming in the event he made a team. Now he’s guaranteed that. I just hope he can bring his cat with him.
Morgan, who is 32, had his worst season in the bigs last year, hitting .239/.302/.308 in 322 plate appearances. He’s also an International Smooth Operator:
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12