Jan 24, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that right-hander Jair Jurrjens has agreed to a one-year major league deal with the Orioles. He’ll receive a $1.5 million base salary and could max out at $4 million with incentives.
Jurrjens was connected to the Orioles last offseason in rumors involving a potential trade for center fielder Adam Jones, but his stock has cratered over the past year. The 26-year-old right-hander posted an ugly 6.89 ERA and 19/18 K/BB ratio over 48 1/3 innings with the Braves last season and spent a good chunk of the year in the minors. He became a free agent after he was non-tendered in late October.
Jurrjens showed some promise over his first two seasons in Atlanta, but knee problems and diminished velocity have contributed to his decline. He averaged just 88.6 mph on his fastball in 2012, down from 91.9 back in 2008. Still, at just 26 years old, the Orioles are hopeful he can turn things around.
The Orioles previously expressed interest in bringing back left-hander Joe Saunders, but the addition of Jurrjens likely signals that they have moved on.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)