Jan 24, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
UPDATE: The return is … interesting. Mark Bowman reports that the Braves are getting not just Justin Upton, but Chris Johnson as well. In return, Atlanta is sending them Martin Prado, Randall Delgado, shortstop prospect Nick Ahmed and starting pitcher Zeke Spruill.
Much bigger trade than expected. We’ll break it down shortly.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman reports that it’s a done deal, pending physicals. Justin Upton to the Braves. We’ll update with what the Diamondbacks are getting as soon as it’s reported.
9:49 AM: Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Braves are close to getting Justin Upton from the Diamondbacks.
It would appear, then, that the Braves’ offer, which is thought to be led by Julio Teheran and a handful of other prospects, is good enough for Kevin Towers. UPDATE: Rosenthal tweets that Randall Delgado is in the package. It’s unclear if Teheran is too.
If the Braves land Upton, they will be done for the offseason, filling their center field hole with B.J. Upton, their third base hole with Martin Prado, his spot in left field with Justin Upton and their backup catching slot with Gerald Laird. All without costing them a player they would have otherwise expected to contribute in 2013. Not bad.
UPDATE: Yup, this looks like it’s happening:
It looks like #Braves have a two-Upton outfield — deal is close to being done. Wow. Things moved quickly
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) January 24, 2013
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)