Jan 24, 2013, 9:49 AM EST
UPDATE: The return is … interesting. Mark Bowman reports that the Braves are getting not just Justin Upton, but Chris Johnson as well. In return, Atlanta is sending them Martin Prado, Randall Delgado, shortstop prospect Nick Ahmed and starting pitcher Zeke Spruill.
Much bigger trade than expected. We’ll break it down shortly.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman reports that it’s a done deal, pending physicals. Justin Upton to the Braves. We’ll update with what the Diamondbacks are getting as soon as it’s reported.
9:49 AM: Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Braves are close to getting Justin Upton from the Diamondbacks.
It would appear, then, that the Braves’ offer, which is thought to be led by Julio Teheran and a handful of other prospects, is good enough for Kevin Towers. UPDATE: Rosenthal tweets that Randall Delgado is in the package. It’s unclear if Teheran is too.
If the Braves land Upton, they will be done for the offseason, filling their center field hole with B.J. Upton, their third base hole with Martin Prado, his spot in left field with Justin Upton and their backup catching slot with Gerald Laird. All without costing them a player they would have otherwise expected to contribute in 2013. Not bad.
UPDATE: Yup, this looks like it’s happening:
It looks like #Braves have a two-Upton outfield — deal is close to being done. Wow. Things moved quickly
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) January 24, 2013
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)