Jan 24, 2013, 9:49 AM EST
UPDATE: The return is … interesting. Mark Bowman reports that the Braves are getting not just Justin Upton, but Chris Johnson as well. In return, Atlanta is sending them Martin Prado, Randall Delgado, shortstop prospect Nick Ahmed and starting pitcher Zeke Spruill.
Much bigger trade than expected. We’ll break it down shortly.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman reports that it’s a done deal, pending physicals. Justin Upton to the Braves. We’ll update with what the Diamondbacks are getting as soon as it’s reported.
9:49 AM: Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Braves are close to getting Justin Upton from the Diamondbacks.
It would appear, then, that the Braves’ offer, which is thought to be led by Julio Teheran and a handful of other prospects, is good enough for Kevin Towers. UPDATE: Rosenthal tweets that Randall Delgado is in the package. It’s unclear if Teheran is too.
If the Braves land Upton, they will be done for the offseason, filling their center field hole with B.J. Upton, their third base hole with Martin Prado, his spot in left field with Justin Upton and their backup catching slot with Gerald Laird. All without costing them a player they would have otherwise expected to contribute in 2013. Not bad.
UPDATE: Yup, this looks like it’s happening:
It looks like #Braves have a two-Upton outfield — deal is close to being done. Wow. Things moved quickly
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) January 24, 2013
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)