Jan 24, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Torrealba has received a minor league contract with a spring training invite. The Rockies are looking at him as insurance and depth with Ramon Hernandez slated to play for his native Venezuela in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
11:15 PM: According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Rockies have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba. It’s not clear whether he has received a major league deal or not, but Thomas Harding of MLB.com reported earlier this week that the Rockies had offered him a minor league contract.
This is a homecoming of sorts for Torrealba, who previously played with the club from 2006-2009 and enjoyed his best seasons there. The 34-year-old backstop batted just .227/.293/.330 with four home runs, 14 RBI and a .623 OPS in 218 plate appearances last season between the Rangers, Blue Jays and Brewers.
The Rockies already have Wilin Rosario and Ramon Hernandez as their projected catching tandem, so it’s unlikely there will be a place for Torrealba on the Opening Day roster unless there’s an injury. It’s worth noting that Hernandez had left hamstring surgery in September, so perhaps the Rockies just wanted some veteran insurance.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)