Jan 24, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Multiple reports out of Boston that the Red Sox have hired Pedro Martinez to be a special assistant to to GM Ben Cherington.
I have no idea what most special assistants do, but I imagine that he’ll do much the same for the Red Sox that Sandy Koufax will do in his new job as special assistant to the Dodgers. Spring training instruction. Be a team ambassador. Be a guy who knows oodles about baseball and is now, because of his job, always reachable. There’s probably a lot of value in that, actually.
Also: I think of Pedro as being a modern Koufax, so I like that both of them got basically the same gig in the past week.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)