The state of the Braves-Diamondbacks negotiations on Justin Upton

Jan 24, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Yesterday Buster Olney reported that the Braves and Diamondbacks were in serious negotiations about Justin Upton. Now we have some backfill from Ken Rosenthal and David O’Brien about where that stands.

From O’Brien, on the kind of haul the Diamondbacks may get:

That’s pitching prospect Julio Teheran. It’s not really surprising to see his name there as the Braves have a pitching surplus and it was expected that they’d trade either Teheran or Randall Delgado if they were to add a big bat this offseason.  One thing O’Brien stresses in later tweets, though, is that shortstop Andrelton Simmons is NOT on the table. At all. The Braves view him as basically untouchable.

As for the timetable of things, Rosenthal reports that the offer is in the Diamondbacks’ laps and the Braves are waiting for their answer.  He also adds that Kevin Towers wants to make a deal by Friday:

Africa, eh? Then the clock is ticking. All I know is that it’s gonna take a lot to take Upton away from them. And I suspect that there’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to improve upon the offer they have from Upton.

1. tm0000 - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

It’s not a deadline, so he can bless the trade down in Africa

• sneschalmers - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM

do dodo dodo du doooooo

• rocketsteadman - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Is it too much to ask to incorporate some Toto into every baseball article?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Every time I hear that song, it always reminds me of the line “I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.”

3. thewhinebag - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Great. Now I’m listening to Toto during my commute.

4. stex52 - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Will they make a pitch for a short term deal to Bourn if this falls through? They might get a decent deal.

And thanks very much for pinning that song into my head all day.

5. keprotica - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Justin Upton is frightened of this thing he has become. I.e., trade bait. Nevertheless, hurry boys, he’s waiting there for you.

• historiophiliac - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

There’s nothing that a hundred Delmon Youngs could ever do, because he’s off the table.

• spudchukar - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Seldom is Delmon Young ever “off the table”.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I think somebody has a crush on Mr. Young…keep commenting on him in every single article, and people will think you are in love.

• cur68 - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Shirtless Delmon? The mind boggles.

• historiophiliac - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

OMG, now my lunch is on the table.

• cur68 - Jan 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

If you’re not going to eat it, let Delmon know. He’ll be glad to finish it for you.

6. gpatrick15 - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Justin Upton has been burning a hole in Towers’ pocket for a few seasons now. Hopefully this ends soon, with my hometown Braves not selling the farm to get him.

7. thebadguyswon - Jan 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Delmon Young’s man boobs. Nice thought. Thank you.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2899)