Jan 24, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Yesterday Buster Olney reported that the Braves and Diamondbacks were in serious negotiations about Justin Upton. Now we have some backfill from Ken Rosenthal and David O’Brien about where that stands.
From O’Brien, on the kind of haul the Diamondbacks may get:
Confirmed that #Braves have indeed made offer to Dbacks for Justin Upton. I think Teheran plus 2-3 other prospects, but not sure
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) January 23, 2013
That’s pitching prospect Julio Teheran. It’s not really surprising to see his name there as the Braves have a pitching surplus and it was expected that they’d trade either Teheran or Randall Delgado if they were to add a big bat this offseason. One thing O’Brien stresses in later tweets, though, is that shortstop Andrelton Simmons is NOT on the table. At all. The Braves view him as basically untouchable.
As for the timetable of things, Rosenthal reports that the offer is in the Diamondbacks’ laps and the Braves are waiting for their answer. He also adds that Kevin Towers wants to make a deal by Friday:
#Diamondbacks GM Towers going on vacation to Africa on Friday. Would prefer to move either Upton or Kubel by then. But it’s not a deadline.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 23, 2013
Africa, eh? Then the clock is ticking. All I know is that it’s gonna take a lot to take Upton away from them. And I suspect that there’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to improve upon the offer they have from Upton.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)