Jan 24, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Yesterday Buster Olney reported that the Braves and Diamondbacks were in serious negotiations about Justin Upton. Now we have some backfill from Ken Rosenthal and David O’Brien about where that stands.
From O’Brien, on the kind of haul the Diamondbacks may get:
Confirmed that #Braves have indeed made offer to Dbacks for Justin Upton. I think Teheran plus 2-3 other prospects, but not sure
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) January 23, 2013
That’s pitching prospect Julio Teheran. It’s not really surprising to see his name there as the Braves have a pitching surplus and it was expected that they’d trade either Teheran or Randall Delgado if they were to add a big bat this offseason. One thing O’Brien stresses in later tweets, though, is that shortstop Andrelton Simmons is NOT on the table. At all. The Braves view him as basically untouchable.
As for the timetable of things, Rosenthal reports that the offer is in the Diamondbacks’ laps and the Braves are waiting for their answer. He also adds that Kevin Towers wants to make a deal by Friday:
#Diamondbacks GM Towers going on vacation to Africa on Friday. Would prefer to move either Upton or Kubel by then. But it’s not a deadline.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 23, 2013
Africa, eh? Then the clock is ticking. All I know is that it’s gonna take a lot to take Upton away from them. And I suspect that there’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to improve upon the offer they have from Upton.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)