Jan 24, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
Yesterday Buster Olney reported that the Braves and Diamondbacks were in serious negotiations about Justin Upton. Now we have some backfill from Ken Rosenthal and David O’Brien about where that stands.
From O’Brien, on the kind of haul the Diamondbacks may get:
Confirmed that #Braves have indeed made offer to Dbacks for Justin Upton. I think Teheran plus 2-3 other prospects, but not sure
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) January 23, 2013
That’s pitching prospect Julio Teheran. It’s not really surprising to see his name there as the Braves have a pitching surplus and it was expected that they’d trade either Teheran or Randall Delgado if they were to add a big bat this offseason. One thing O’Brien stresses in later tweets, though, is that shortstop Andrelton Simmons is NOT on the table. At all. The Braves view him as basically untouchable.
As for the timetable of things, Rosenthal reports that the offer is in the Diamondbacks’ laps and the Braves are waiting for their answer. He also adds that Kevin Towers wants to make a deal by Friday:
#Diamondbacks GM Towers going on vacation to Africa on Friday. Would prefer to move either Upton or Kubel by then. But it’s not a deadline.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 23, 2013
Africa, eh? Then the clock is ticking. All I know is that it’s gonna take a lot to take Upton away from them. And I suspect that there’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to improve upon the offer they have from Upton.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)