Jan 24, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Yesterday Buster Olney reported that the Braves and Diamondbacks were in serious negotiations about Justin Upton. Now we have some backfill from Ken Rosenthal and David O’Brien about where that stands.
From O’Brien, on the kind of haul the Diamondbacks may get:
Confirmed that #Braves have indeed made offer to Dbacks for Justin Upton. I think Teheran plus 2-3 other prospects, but not sure
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) January 23, 2013
That’s pitching prospect Julio Teheran. It’s not really surprising to see his name there as the Braves have a pitching surplus and it was expected that they’d trade either Teheran or Randall Delgado if they were to add a big bat this offseason. One thing O’Brien stresses in later tweets, though, is that shortstop Andrelton Simmons is NOT on the table. At all. The Braves view him as basically untouchable.
As for the timetable of things, Rosenthal reports that the offer is in the Diamondbacks’ laps and the Braves are waiting for their answer. He also adds that Kevin Towers wants to make a deal by Friday:
#Diamondbacks GM Towers going on vacation to Africa on Friday. Would prefer to move either Upton or Kubel by then. But it’s not a deadline.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 23, 2013
Africa, eh? Then the clock is ticking. All I know is that it’s gonna take a lot to take Upton away from them. And I suspect that there’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to improve upon the offer they have from Upton.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)