Jan 25, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
I now have a man-crush on Mike Port, who served as Major League Baseball’s vice president in charge of umpiring between 2005 and 2011. He spoke with Jayson Stark of ESPN about replay. The two big takeaways: (a) he thinks replay has to happen now and really should have happened already; and (b) challenge systems are dumb:
A challenge system? Why?
“What is the point of replay,” he wondered, pointedly, “if not to get all calls correct? … I think a challenge system would lead to unbelievable confusion and would miss the point of instituting replay. You would be amazed how many managers, coaches, and players are not conversant with the rules … As a basic premise, if the purpose of replay is to get calls correct … then let’s try to get ALL correct within certain categories.”
Great points, which we’ve made many times here. If you want to correct errors, correct errors. Don’t make a game out of it.
Port goes on at length about how Major League Baseball has so far addressed the replay situation. Suffice it to say, he find their approach quite curious.
A good read and a lot of good thoughts from a man who both knows the system and wants to see it improved. Check it out.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)