Jan 25, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
I now have a man-crush on Mike Port, who served as Major League Baseball’s vice president in charge of umpiring between 2005 and 2011. He spoke with Jayson Stark of ESPN about replay. The two big takeaways: (a) he thinks replay has to happen now and really should have happened already; and (b) challenge systems are dumb:
A challenge system? Why?
“What is the point of replay,” he wondered, pointedly, “if not to get all calls correct? … I think a challenge system would lead to unbelievable confusion and would miss the point of instituting replay. You would be amazed how many managers, coaches, and players are not conversant with the rules … As a basic premise, if the purpose of replay is to get calls correct … then let’s try to get ALL correct within certain categories.”
Great points, which we’ve made many times here. If you want to correct errors, correct errors. Don’t make a game out of it.
Port goes on at length about how Major League Baseball has so far addressed the replay situation. Suffice it to say, he find their approach quite curious.
A good read and a lot of good thoughts from a man who both knows the system and wants to see it improved. Check it out.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
Would it endanger or enlighten Berrios’ career to give him a few starts in a postseason race?
Sep 1, 2015, 10:49 PM EDT
It was Cal Ripken Jr. Night on Tuesday at Baltimore’s Camden Yards, with the Orioles celebrating the 20th anniversary of Ripken taking over Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played …
Sep 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Stanton has been on the disabled list since June 27 because of a broken hamate bone in his right hand.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
And he did it on the night the O’s are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York shares the plan …
Sep 1, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
The reworking of the Red Sox has already begun under new club president Dave Dombrowski.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
It was a rather uneventful triple play as far as triple plays go, but cool and rare nonetheless …
Sep 1, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
From beat writer Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com …
Sep 1, 2015, 5:17 PM EDT
Teixeira has started just one game since fouling a ball off his shin two weeks ago.
Sep 1, 2015, 4:54 PM EDT
Kelvin Herrera and Alex Rios are already infected and will could miss up to two weeks.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Gordon missed two months with a groin injury.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
He deserves to be in already.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
Olivera was traded from the Dodgers to the Braves as part of July’s three-team, 13-player deal.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:14 PM EDT
Former Rookie of the Year and All-Star closer.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Wait — he wasn’t with the Dodgers already?
Sep 1, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
“It wouldn’t surprise me if Jessica’s a regular on Sunday, Monday or Wednesday night baseball, whenever the time comes,” Kruk said.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s pretty nice. But it also cost $1.6M.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s running out of time.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
At least he claims he did. Hmmmmm . . .
Sep 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Bananas: an essential element in Team Chemistry.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)