Jan 25, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Qualls, 34, posted a 5.33 ERA and 27/14 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings last season between the Phillies, Yankees and Pirates. He still induces plenty of grounders, but his strikeout rate has declined in four consecutive seasons.
There isn’t much upside to be had, but with little experience in the Marlins’ bullpen beyond Steve Cishek, Ryan Webb and Mike Dunn, Qualls should be in fine position for a roster spot if he has a solid spring.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)