Jan 25, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Qualls, 34, posted a 5.33 ERA and 27/14 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings last season between the Phillies, Yankees and Pirates. He still induces plenty of grounders, but his strikeout rate has declined in four consecutive seasons.
There isn’t much upside to be had, but with little experience in the Marlins’ bullpen beyond Steve Cishek, Ryan Webb and Mike Dunn, Qualls should be in fine position for a roster spot if he has a solid spring.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)