Of course you want a yarmulke with your favorite team’s logo on it

Jan 25, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT

Yarmulke

ESPN’s Darren Rovell reports that, if you are so inclined, you can now acquire team-branded Yarmulkes:

The Emblem Source now makes the official yarmulkes of Major League Baseball and the NBA, and although there isn’t a player on the field or on the court that wears the “Pro Kippah,” the business has taken off … People in Brooklyn can’t get enough of the black Brooklyn Nets one or a retro Dodgers one he recently made. He made a Expos ones for Jewish fans of the former team in Montreal, and Miami Heat fans will have a “Whiteout” version for the playoffs.

Make sure you get them from Emblem Source. You want an official yarmulke of Major League Baseball. Not one of those countless knockoff baseball yarmulkes you see everywhere.

1. philliesblow - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Would love to send a Phillies one to Delmon Young.

• darthicarus - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Barbaro has asked to stop being kicked

2. notoriousbri - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Delmon will be the celebrity spokesperson..

3. mybrunoblog - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I’ll pass on the yarmulke but any idea where i can get a 12 apostles jersey? Seriously is there no end to the sports branding culture ?

4. Shafer's Dealer - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

There is a time and a place for that crap. Are you showing reverence to “God” or to MLB/Baseball?
    How can you be taken serious in your faith with that on your head?

I am not religious but I have respect for most faiths and traditions…I’ve seen these before and they are a joke.

And where is the obligatory “Jews must be offended” post Craig?

• paperlions - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM

So much conflation going on there.

No need to confuse apparel for degree of reverence. Just like a person that wears a suit to church may not be particularly true to his/her faith, someone that dresses differently is not necessarily being disrespectful to the service or religion.

It is not the place of the people in the congregation to be offended by how you choose to show up to church (within reason, of course).

If you are truly religious, you are not concerned with other people’s attitude about the seriousness with which you take your religion, because that relationship is between you and your god and no one else.

• Shafer's Dealer - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I guess I am just ‘old-school’..
        I was raised with the belief that you respect to your faith (and elders) through appearance and behavior.

Both notions that appearance is not a scale of faith as well as the fact that the believer shouldn’t be concerned with that others think of the relationship are correct.
        The things I have seen a girl do with a crucifix hanging around her neck…

• historiophiliac - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM

We get it. You like t-shirts. lol

• paperlions - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM

LMAO

• escapingexile - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It is important to remember that within Judaism, there are two distinctly different types. You have the orthodox and the reformed. I have been in a relationship with a reformed Jewish woman for nearly two years. The first time we saw these was on the big screen at Dodger Stadium last year and she thought it was the greatest thing ever. She even offered to buy it for me to wear to family weddings and such as I am not Jewish and do not have my own. That being said, the orthodox jews might find this to be a little more offensive due to the seriousness with which they value their traditions.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Chill the fuck out. These kipot are not offensive. We even have yellow kipot with smiley faces. Because we’re like that, man.

• snowbirdgothic - Jan 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Word.

Also, mazel tov.

5. cackalackyank - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Oy! What a deal!

6. professormaddog31 - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Hey, now… I went to a Brewers themed bat mitzvah a few years ago and it was awesome. The young lady and her father both wore a yarmulke with the old M mitt on it. I thought it was great.

Then again, I go to a church where the congregation wears Packers jerseys on Sunday during football season, so perhaps I am the wrong person to discuss this matter.

• sandwiches4ever - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Most of Wisconsin considers Lambeau Field a holy site, so that doesn’t surprise me.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I want a Giants merkin

8. cintiphil - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM

This is just dumb. Why are there no comments from the Jewish community? On second thought, they are probably making a dime on this nonsense.

9. smoochytherhino - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I love the mesh fabric. Finally my head can breathe and I can still keep the fear of heaven upon me! Mazel Tov, MLB, Mazel Tov!

10. historiophiliac - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

So, do they offer a veil w/ an OE D pattern?

11. Stiller43 - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I saw the headline and said yarmulke phonetically (sp?) (as i am not jewish and havent seen it written out before)…like what the hell is a yar-mulkey?!

12. aceshigh11 - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

HAPPY CHAKA KHAN, EVERYONE.

13. Stiller43 - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Seriously though, they cant get with the times and spell it “yamikah” or something similar?!

14. 19dscout - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

So I guess there’ll be a home version, a road version, a BP version…

15. butchhuskey - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Jew have got to be kidding me.

16. vallewho - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Nothing says hi morals and true faith like a team branded yarmulke. Good job MLB!

17. sdelmonte - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Can’t comment now. Shabbos in 2 minutes but will be back Sat night .

18. giantssb42champs - Jan 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Jeffrey Loria needs one with Marlins logo.

19. anxovies - Jan 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM

How about holy wafers with the Angel’s logo?

20. snowbirdgothic - Jan 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I remain disappointed I can’t get my St. Louis Browns-logo tallis, or perhaps a mezuzah with a pertinent excerpt from “Moneyball” inside.

But I’d totally rock a Dodgers yarmulke.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3171)