Phil Coke, Prince Fielder talk to kids about bullying

Jan 25, 2013, 8:28 AM EDT

Prince Fielder Getty Images

Last April Tigers reliever Phil Coke testified before a federal anti-bullying panel.  Coke and his teammates are keeping up the good work in this area as, yesterday, he and Prince Fielder went to a middle school to talk to kids about bullying:

Loud cheers broke out when Fielder and Tigers pitcher Phil Coke took the stage. Both shared stories of being bullied as children, with Fielder saying he was a big kid but still endured punches and kicks from other children that left him in tears.

Very cool to see athletes getting involved in these sorts of initiatives. Especially Fielder. I imagine most people have a hard time picturing an elite athlete who, while in school, was the son of another famous athlete being the subject of bullying. Having someone like him involved helps illustrate that the problem doesn’t necessarily match the stereotypes.

1. papacrick - Jan 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Class act right there. Good for both of these men. A guy like Fielder can make a significant impact on a young person’s life

2. historiophiliac - Jan 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Go Tigers!

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

LOL! Nope. According to Ben’s words to live by…I nailed it.

3. flosox - Jan 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Good to see athletes living up to their role model status!

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

It is great to see Flosox. Wonderful in fact.
      These guys can play a huge role in anti-bullying campaigns.
      But remember…we can only refer to white players and latino players as “athletes.”
      Continuing this mindset…
      Latino players can be called gritty as well. White players can also be called “fiery.”

In summation:
      Black players = never “athletes” or “athletic.”
      Latino players = never “fiery” or “hot headed”
      White players = never “gritty” or “hard nosed”

• historiophiliac - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You have it backwards there, Woodpecker. :)

• hardballtalkusername - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Way to stay on-topic.

4. darling12 - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

As technologies increasing rapidly so bullying does. And as a mom of two boys, more often than not I always received a report that my child was bullied from peers and they usually went home crying. And it does break my heart seeing your children in pain. But all I can do as a parent is to encourage and shows my love for them. Good thing I’ve searched a safety Application through Android App Store that is useful in preventing and protecting children away from home. I have tested the app and it works great! Check it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=skz.skz&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsInNrei5za3oiXQ..

5. kalinedrive - Jan 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I never paid attention to Prince until he came to the Tigers, but he seems to be a happy man who loves playing baseball. I hope he stays happy, healthy and hitting.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3439)