Quote of the Day: Jonny Gomes doesn’t want to be a platoon player

Jan 25, 2013, 7:29 AM EDT

Jonny Gomes AP

Jonny Gomes told the Boston Herald that he does not want to be thought of as merely a platoon player. And his reasoning is unimpeachable:

“You look at baseball cards, there’s no such thing as a position of a ‘guy that hits lefties’ or a ‘guy that hits righties, You either hit or you don’t. Are they different? They are different, 100 percent, lefty and righty. But I didn’t hit just lefties in the 12-year-old All-Stars. Coming up through the minors, I didn’t have a swing that just hits lefties. I work very hard in the offseason to condition myself to be ready for 162 (games).”

That positive, can-do attitude is admirable. Even if, to major league teams, attention certainly is paid to “guys who hit lefties” and “guys who hit righties,” and even if 12-year-old All-Star righties are a tad easier to hit than those in the big leagues.

Anyway, for his 3,000+ plate appearance career, Gomes has hit .223/.307/.425 against righties and .284./.382/.512 vs. lefties. So if he wants to be a 162-game player, he had better start figuring out those righties soon or else someone may take comments such as the one above as so much bluster.

1. offseasonblues - Jan 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Missing is the question that prompted this answer from Gomes. But assuming it was something like “Do you think you’ll be a platoon player in Boston this year?”, how would you have preferred he answer so as not to have a stock response to a (probably) stock question be singled out as bluster in a quote of the day headline?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Gomes played in more than 120 games ONCE in his 10-year career and that was the 148 he played in 2011. He’s basically been a platoon player his entire career. Why would he start thinking that he is NOW not a platoon player? I guess he’s right about the baseball card thing though…maybe they need to add “journeyman” as a position?

• tuberippin - Jan 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I guess he’s thinking it because Boston decided to pay him like he’s a full-time outfielder

3. alexo0 - Jan 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Someone should ask Gomes if he still wants to be a big leaguer. The two might be related.

4. sophiethegreatdane - Jan 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My 11 year old nephew has a baseball card, hanging on my ‘fridge right now. He can’t hit righties either.

5. bolweevils2 - Jan 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I don’t blame him for wanting to play full time. I daresay virtually every platoon player wants to play full time. I don’t think many major league decisions are made based on what is written on the back of baseball cards though. Ben Cherington: “Go find me a Jonny Gomes baseball card. I have to see if this guy is any good.”

6. pellypell - Jan 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

And if the Sox brass tell you that you will be a platoon player, than that is what you will be. This is a show and prove league, hit righties and all will be well.

Less than 3 weeks til players report, wooooo!

7. mazblast - Jan 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Gomes should be grateful he’s in the majors, even if it’s “only” as a “lefty killer”.

Signed,

Those out here who never could hit lefties OR righties

8. APBA Guy - Jan 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

The A’s fans are going to miss Petaluma’s own Jonny Gomes this year. Something tells me the A’s are going to miss him also, especially when they look at their options vs. tough lefties, like Matt Harrison.

9. whmiv21 - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Cheer up, Johnny! At least we’re paying you like a regular!

10. bh192012 - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

.732 career OPS vs RHP, so it’s not like he’s completely useless agaisnt them, just not good considering his position. Probably good enough to get on a MLB baseball card still. So you don’t have to think of him as a platoon player, but if you want to think of him as a good player, you have to think of him as a good platoon player.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5380)