Jan 25, 2013, 9:49 PM EST
Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz has drawn interest from multiple MLB teams this winter, but his situation just got a bit more complicated. According to Ben Badler of Baseball America, MLB is currently investigating his age.
At issue is that Diaz is presenting himself as a 23-year-old born on January 8, 1990. However, one report suggests that he was born on August 1, 1990, which would make him 22. There is also a roster for the 2010 Pan-American games which says he was born in 1991.
Whether Diaz is 23 or younger is pretty significant if you consider that MLB teams are now limited by an international spending cap. It’s $2.9 million for each team during the 2011-2012 international spending period. However, Cuban players with at least three years of professional experience and who are at least 23 are exempt from those bonus pools. In other words, Diaz could stand to make a lot more money if he’s 23 as opposed to 22 or 21.
MLB has yet to rule on whether Diaz is exempt from the bonus pools and they also want him to present an unblocking license from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) before he can sign with a team. In the meantime, Diaz has established residency in Mexico.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)