Jan 25, 2013, 3:16 PM EST
The Royals announced this afternoon that they have claimed catcher George Kottaras off waivers from the Athletics. Kottaras was designated for assignment last week after Oakland acquired John Jaso from the Mariners in the three-team Michael Morse deal.
Some speculated that the catching-starved Yankees should have put in a claim, but because the Royals finished at 72-90 last year, they had a higher waiver priority. Kottaras signed a one-year, $1 million contract with Oakland earlier this month to avoid arbitration, so the Royals will now be responsible for his 2013 salary.
Kottaras, 29, batted .211/.351/.415 with nine home runs, 31 RBI and a .766 OPS over 85 games last season between the Brewers and Athletics. He figures to serve as Salvador Perez‘s primary backup this year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)