Jan 25, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
The Royals announced this afternoon that they have claimed catcher George Kottaras off waivers from the Athletics. Kottaras was designated for assignment last week after Oakland acquired John Jaso from the Mariners in the three-team Michael Morse deal.
Some speculated that the catching-starved Yankees should have put in a claim, but because the Royals finished at 72-90 last year, they had a higher waiver priority. Kottaras signed a one-year, $1 million contract with Oakland earlier this month to avoid arbitration, so the Royals will now be responsible for his 2013 salary.
Kottaras, 29, batted .211/.351/.415 with nine home runs, 31 RBI and a .766 OPS over 85 games last season between the Brewers and Athletics. He figures to serve as Salvador Perez‘s primary backup this year.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 0
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (95)