Jan 25, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
The Royals announced this afternoon that they have claimed catcher George Kottaras off waivers from the Athletics. Kottaras was designated for assignment last week after Oakland acquired John Jaso from the Mariners in the three-team Michael Morse deal.
Some speculated that the catching-starved Yankees should have put in a claim, but because the Royals finished at 72-90 last year, they had a higher waiver priority. Kottaras signed a one-year, $1 million contract with Oakland earlier this month to avoid arbitration, so the Royals will now be responsible for his 2013 salary.
Kottaras, 29, batted .211/.351/.415 with nine home runs, 31 RBI and a .766 OPS over 85 games last season between the Brewers and Athletics. He figures to serve as Salvador Perez‘s primary backup this year.
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 1
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 5
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 18
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 41
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 22