Jan 25, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
The Royals announced this afternoon that they have claimed catcher George Kottaras off waivers from the Athletics. Kottaras was designated for assignment last week after Oakland acquired John Jaso from the Mariners in the three-team Michael Morse deal.
Some speculated that the catching-starved Yankees should have put in a claim, but because the Royals finished at 72-90 last year, they had a higher waiver priority. Kottaras signed a one-year, $1 million contract with Oakland earlier this month to avoid arbitration, so the Royals will now be responsible for his 2013 salary.
Kottaras, 29, batted .211/.351/.415 with nine home runs, 31 RBI and a .766 OPS over 85 games last season between the Brewers and Athletics. He figures to serve as Salvador Perez‘s primary backup this year.
- Red Sox acquire Alejandro De Aza from Orioles 19
- Video: Lloyd McClendon got ejected, threw another tantrum 23
- Albert Pujols ties Jimmie Foxx on the all-time home run list 27
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 96
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 77
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 14
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 10
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (186)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)