Jan 25, 2013, 6:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: Kalish will have right shoulder surgery next week, reports Ian Browne of MLB.com.
6:56 PM: Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that Kalish is expected to undergo another shoulder surgery and will likely be out longer to start 2013 than he was last year. There’s little doubt that Kalish has the talent to be a useful player in the big leagues, but he just can’t stay on the field.
6:47 PM: Ryan Kalish likely would have logged significant playing time in Boston’s injury-plagued outfield last year, but he missed the early part of the season while he was rehabbing from shoulder surgery. It sounds like he’s going to get a late start again in 2013.
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Kalish will likely need surgery for an unspecified injury, which would force him to miss spring training. This confirms a report by Matthew Stucko of MiLB.com. The specific nature of the injury isn’t yet known, but Bradford hears that it isn’t related to Kalish’s neck, which required surgery in September of 2011.
Kalish, who turns 25 in March, batted .229 (22-for-96) with three doubles, five RBI, three stolen bases and a .532 OPS in 103 plate appearances with the Red Sox last season. He probably would have needed a big spring to beat out Daniel Nava for a spot on the Opening Day roster, but thanks to more bad luck on the injury front, he apparently won’t even get the chance to compete.
- In progress: Mike Minor working on a no-hitter against the Reds 2
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 210
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (210)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)