Jan 25, 2013, 6:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: Kalish will have right shoulder surgery next week, reports Ian Browne of MLB.com.
6:56 PM: Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that Kalish is expected to undergo another shoulder surgery and will likely be out longer to start 2013 than he was last year. There’s little doubt that Kalish has the talent to be a useful player in the big leagues, but he just can’t stay on the field.
6:47 PM: Ryan Kalish likely would have logged significant playing time in Boston’s injury-plagued outfield last year, but he missed the early part of the season while he was rehabbing from shoulder surgery. It sounds like he’s going to get a late start again in 2013.
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Kalish will likely need surgery for an unspecified injury, which would force him to miss spring training. This confirms a report by Matthew Stucko of MiLB.com. The specific nature of the injury isn’t yet known, but Bradford hears that it isn’t related to Kalish’s neck, which required surgery in September of 2011.
Kalish, who turns 25 in March, batted .229 (22-for-96) with three doubles, five RBI, three stolen bases and a .532 OPS in 103 plate appearances with the Red Sox last season. He probably would have needed a big spring to beat out Daniel Nava for a spot on the Opening Day roster, but thanks to more bad luck on the injury front, he apparently won’t even get the chance to compete.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)