Wow, Andy Marte has fallen far

Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT

andy-marte-indians-broken-bat Getty Images

Andy Marte was supposed to be a beast. Signed by the Braves when he was 16, he excelled in leagues where he was way younger than the competition. He posted an OPS of .831 in the Sally League when he was only 18. He posted an .840 OPS in an extreme pitchers park in the high-A Carolina league when he was 19. At age 20 he played at double-A Greenville and notched an .889 and the next year he had an .878 in Triple-A at the age of 21.

You do that, at those ages, in those leagues, and your future should be bright. Except then Marte totally dropped off a cliff.

He was totally overmatched in his first big league callup and then the Braves shipped him to Boston for Edgar Renteria. A month later Boston shipped him to Cleveland in the Coco Crisp deal. Cleveland gave him several chances to earn the third base job, but he simply could not hit in the bigs and even regressed in the minors, save for one season in Columbus when he was 25. Since then he’s just floated, last seen in the Pirates organization in 2011 and out of baseball entirely, it seems last year.

Now he’s signed with the York Revolution of the independent Atlantic League.

We’ve all seen quad-A players — they have their own bar! — but Marte has to be the most extreme case I can remember.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Ever since he broke his lucky bat……..

2. kiwicricket - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I can’t even imagine what it might be like to be one of these guys and to read something like this. The pic is slightly brutal but amusing in one swing.

3. wpjohnson - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I paid $405.00 for Marte’s game worn jersey when he was at Myrtle Beach. I have made better investments including other such jersies. Of course, I have also made other such purchases that didn’t work out. Nonetheless, Marte was special when he was a Pelican. I don’t regret the purchase. I wish him well.

• kiwicricket - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Can you please tell us more about the bad purchases? Please tell me you paid $315 for Lastings Milledge’s game shoes….

• wpjohnson - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Foirtunately, Milledge didn’t play in MB.

• tuberippin - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Do you have any Kenny Powers memorabilia from his time in Myrtle Beach?

• nolanwiffle - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Investment? What’s the expected ROI in your lifetime?

• wpjohnson - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Actually, I suspect my ROI on my purchases of Pelican jersies will be far better than my more conventional investments after another Obama four years.

4. stabonerichard - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Delmon Young, Brandon Wood, Matt LaPorta, Andy Laroche…

• dondada10 - Jan 25, 2013 at 6:20 PM

What’s the common link? K rates above 20% in the minors.

I don’t care what your OPS is or any other stat in the minors. If you’re striking out that much, you’ll never hit in the majors.

5. historiophiliac - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

This is why I don’t get too excited about the punks. People get all excited about the Trouts, but in my mind, I’m thinking Betemit.

6. recoveringcubsfan - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Craig just wrote this because he’s a Braves fan.

Now that that’s out of the way (it IS obligatory now, isn’t it?), I am stunned to see Marte talked about at all anymore. I remember, now, thinking that the trade that sent him to the AL was nuts and that Chipper was not going to last forever. Which one of those thoughts was more crazy in hindsight, I ask you?

7. reasonableeaglefan - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

The link was good, especially the comments. Both of these stories reminded me of Dom Brown and it kind of stung.

8. pinkfloydprism - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Who?

9. sjhaack - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Super-AIDS is a terrible illness. :(

10. schlom - Jan 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

It makes you wonder if he was truly 16 when he signed. Add 4 years to his reported age and his failure to hit in the majors despite good minor league numbers makes it more understandable.

• eshine76 - Jan 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I worked in the Carolina League during the same time Marte was there, and there were several guys we had questions about. The team I worked for had a SS the club was excited about – 19, had good range and a little bit of pop. The next year, there was a guy on the team with the same skill set and I swear he looked exactly like the SS we had the previous season, only now he was 23 and went by a different name. He was released at the end of the season.

11. psuravens19 - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

York Independent League?? That pretty much ensures the O’s will be signing him soon; that’s a popular thing for DD to do.

12. sisqsage - Jan 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Isn’t just about every disappointing prospect/player “last seen” in the Pirates organization?

• sandwiches4ever - Jan 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

It makes sense when you’re working on a budget to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

13. dubs15 - Jan 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM

He’d make a great closer.

14. lostsok - Jan 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

After that chick shot him he just hasn’t been the same.

Hey. Was that lightning…?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet