Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Andy Marte was supposed to be a beast. Signed by the Braves when he was 16, he excelled in leagues where he was way younger than the competition. He posted an OPS of .831 in the Sally League when he was only 18. He posted an .840 OPS in an extreme pitchers park in the high-A Carolina league when he was 19. At age 20 he played at double-A Greenville and notched an .889 and the next year he had an .878 in Triple-A at the age of 21.
You do that, at those ages, in those leagues, and your future should be bright. Except then Marte totally dropped off a cliff.
He was totally overmatched in his first big league callup and then the Braves shipped him to Boston for Edgar Renteria. A month later Boston shipped him to Cleveland in the Coco Crisp deal. Cleveland gave him several chances to earn the third base job, but he simply could not hit in the bigs and even regressed in the minors, save for one season in Columbus when he was 25. Since then he’s just floated, last seen in the Pirates organization in 2011 and out of baseball entirely, it seems last year.
We’ve all seen quad-A players — they have their own bar! — but Marte has to be the most extreme case I can remember.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead