Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Andy Marte was supposed to be a beast. Signed by the Braves when he was 16, he excelled in leagues where he was way younger than the competition. He posted an OPS of .831 in the Sally League when he was only 18. He posted an .840 OPS in an extreme pitchers park in the high-A Carolina league when he was 19. At age 20 he played at double-A Greenville and notched an .889 and the next year he had an .878 in Triple-A at the age of 21.
You do that, at those ages, in those leagues, and your future should be bright. Except then Marte totally dropped off a cliff.
He was totally overmatched in his first big league callup and then the Braves shipped him to Boston for Edgar Renteria. A month later Boston shipped him to Cleveland in the Coco Crisp deal. Cleveland gave him several chances to earn the third base job, but he simply could not hit in the bigs and even regressed in the minors, save for one season in Columbus when he was 25. Since then he’s just floated, last seen in the Pirates organization in 2011 and out of baseball entirely, it seems last year.
We’ve all seen quad-A players — they have their own bar! — but Marte has to be the most extreme case I can remember.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)