Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Andy Marte was supposed to be a beast. Signed by the Braves when he was 16, he excelled in leagues where he was way younger than the competition. He posted an OPS of .831 in the Sally League when he was only 18. He posted an .840 OPS in an extreme pitchers park in the high-A Carolina league when he was 19. At age 20 he played at double-A Greenville and notched an .889 and the next year he had an .878 in Triple-A at the age of 21.
You do that, at those ages, in those leagues, and your future should be bright. Except then Marte totally dropped off a cliff.
He was totally overmatched in his first big league callup and then the Braves shipped him to Boston for Edgar Renteria. A month later Boston shipped him to Cleveland in the Coco Crisp deal. Cleveland gave him several chances to earn the third base job, but he simply could not hit in the bigs and even regressed in the minors, save for one season in Columbus when he was 25. Since then he’s just floated, last seen in the Pirates organization in 2011 and out of baseball entirely, it seems last year.
We’ve all seen quad-A players — they have their own bar! — but Marte has to be the most extreme case I can remember.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)