Jan 26, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reported earlier in the week that the Mariners were considering offering Felix Hernandez a four-year, $100 million extension that would kick in after his current deal expires and cover the 2015-18 seasons. But if they were still weighing the possibility, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman says they might as well forget it:
Foxsports.com reported a few days ago that the Mariners were thinking about a four-year extension for $25 million a year, and while it’s not known whether such an offer has been made or even suggested yet, indications from people familiar with the discussions are that such a proposal would be a non-starter for the starter generally considered one of the best two or three in the game.
Heyman says it’d take a six-year offer to get Hernandez to the table now. But that wouldn’t make much sense for Seattle. The only reason to extend him this winter, when he still has two years left on his deal, is if he’d be willing to give them a discount. Since it seems that’s not in the cards, the Mariners should let 2013 play out and then try to hammer out something next winter.
Hernandez is due $39.5 million over the next two seasons before he becomes eligible for free agency after the 2014 campaign. That could be a huge winter if both Hernandez and Justin Verlander make it to free agency, but chances are that one or both will sign extensions before then.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)