Landon Powell loses baby daughter to liver condition

Jan 26, 2013, 1:31 AM EDT

Izzy Powell

There’s some very sad news to report tonight, as Landon Powell, the former A’s catcher currently employed by the Mets, has lost his baby daughter, Izzy, after a four-month ordeal.

Izzy, one of two twin sisters born prematurely (the other, Ellie, is alive and well), was diagnosed with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, which led to a liver to large for her body. If she had survived longer, she could have received a bone marrow transplant from her older brother. However, she was never in the kind of condition that would have permitted such a surgery.

You can read more about all the Powell family (Landon, Allyson, Holden and Ellie)  has been going through at their facebook page,  Prayers for Izzy.

Our condolences go out to the Powell family.

1. giantraiderwarrior - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Man, my heart goes out him and his wife. Since my wife is pregnant, I don’t not wish this on anyone. Very sad read and picture. REST IN PEACE BABY IZZY!

2. cosanostra71 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:40 AM

RIP young one…

• dcfan4life - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Seriously, what kind of heartless person can have thumbs downs to the first 2 comments?

• hotrod0808 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM

A total jerk who has no respect for the suffering of an infant. One day, they will know loss, and I hope people are less callous to them than they are to Mr. Powell’s loss.

3. Stiller43 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Very sad story. I cant imagine the pain. I had a sister die (i was not born yet) after complications early in her life almost 30 years ago, and I know the pain is still there in my parents hearts.

Condolences to the family.

4. aceshigh11 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM

How unbelievably tragic.

My condolences to Powell and his family.

5. haterhurter937 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:54 AM

knock, knock, knocking on heavens door.

6. 13arod - Jan 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM

this is very sad nobody should ever lose their babby god bless

7. flosox - Jan 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Puts all the other BS in this world into perspective.

Too soon for this little girl to go……rest in peace!

8. cowboysoldiertx - Jan 26, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I lost a child 11 years back and I still grieve for my precious babby girl EVERY day. Its like losing an arm. You feel it, but its gone. You sense it there but you cant touch it. The pain never goes away. God bless this young family.

• flosox - Jan 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Cowboysoldiertx: My condolences to you and your family.

And if your handle represents your profession, thank you for your services!

9. natslady - Jan 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM

My nephew was premie, and we waited, waited, waited to see if he would survive. Now he is grown, graduated from college and working a real job. You don’t know what God has in mind for these babies. I am weeping for you.

10. steelers88 - Jan 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM

This puts it all in perspective for me. I was upset my favorite team lost last night but sports is very small compared to a loss of a human life. R.I.P. Another angel has gone to heaven.

• hojo20 - Jan 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM

You a Celtics fan too?

11. planck16 - Jan 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Very sad. As a Clemson guy and a Landon a Gamecock, it is important to notice that sports and competition are very minor compared to family and children.

12. mazblast - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

No one should ever have to bury their child. My heart goes out to the Powells, may Landon and Allyson find peace and comfort in each other and their other children.

13. Old Gator - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Heartbreaking stuff. Condolences, much love and hope for eventual healing.

14. APBA Guy - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Unbelievably sad. Mt youngest nephew was 4 months premature and weighed just over a pound at birth. Miraculously, he thrived after 30 very touch and go early days, and has no problems as he’s grown. You never, never know with pre-mies. All you can do is pray, get the best medical care you can find, then pray some more. Even then, sometimes the result is tragedy. RIP little one, and condolences to the Powells.

15. hotrod0808 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

My best goes out to Mr. Powell and his family. My daughter is also terminally ill, and I can’t help but feel for others who have lost their children.

16. takavl - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Horrible. Unfortunate events such as this tend to put our petty squabbles and issues in perspective…very sad.

17. steelers88 - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Live every second as if it was your last. Live simply so others can simply live.

18. dannythebisforbeast - Jan 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Very sad.

19. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM

As a father, I can’t even imagine any event that would be more painful. I hope that they can deal with this tragedy as a family, and cope the best they can. One more angel…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3213)