Jan 26, 2013, 1:31 AM EDT
There’s some very sad news to report tonight, as Landon Powell, the former A’s catcher currently employed by the Mets, has lost his baby daughter, Izzy, after a four-month ordeal.
Izzy, one of two twin sisters born prematurely (the other, Ellie, is alive and well), was diagnosed with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, which led to a liver to large for her body. If she had survived longer, she could have received a bone marrow transplant from her older brother. However, she was never in the kind of condition that would have permitted such a surgery.
You can read more about all the Powell family (Landon, Allyson, Holden and Ellie) has been going through at their facebook page, Prayers for Izzy.
Our condolences go out to the Powell family.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)