The Mets are interested in Roy Oswalt

Jan 26, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT

Roy Oswalt Getty Getty Images

ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin reports that the Mets have shown interest in free agent pitcher Roy Oswalt.

Interesting, as the Mets just signed Shaun Marcum and now have five starters that I believe most folks would consider to be better than Roy Oswalt is now. Still, depth is always nice. If Oswalt was willing to provide swingman duties — which he really didn’t care for in Texas last year — he could be a useful addition.

1. Old Gator - Jan 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

It’s Saturday, Craig. Did you suddenly stop being religious?

• cackalackyank - Jan 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I think the sun just set.

• Old Gator - Jan 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Shomer Shabbos! I can’t answer the phone on Saturday except for emergencies!

….Then why’d you answer the phone?

Because this is an emergency!

2. cackalackyank - Jan 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The Mets seem to have 5 starters better than Roy Oswalt, IF they keep them all. I can almost see the Mets seeing if Santana is healed and effective and try to move him for some prospects. If they really want to rebuild they need to improve their farm. The only thing that doesn’t make sense to me is the Wright contract being done in the middle of said rebuild. The only reason I see is that they consider him an asset that will add value to the team when/if the Wilpons are forced to sell.

3. dalucks - Jan 26, 2013 at 5:23 PM

On a 1 year, veteran minimum deal then this would be a good signing.
    I would like to see them sign a few arms for the bullpen.

• phuckphilly99 - Jan 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

it embarrasses me every time you comment on one of these articles and say the mets should sign so and so to a one year league minimum deal. what planet are you from where you think this is even possible…especially coming into new york where we would have to pay a premium for such scrap heap talent? at least you didn’t lead with “i’m a big mets fan and…” can you please refrain from future comments until you get a little more creative?

as for roy harvey oswalt, this guy proved himself to be a selfish me-first loser in texas last year who refused to pitch out of the pen, even after signing on his terms. never mind his history with the mets where he personally killed a deal to new york many years ago when he could actually earn his salary. keep this cancer far far away. we have enough problems without him.

oh, and to that other guy who think the mets will magically turn johan santana into prospects mid-year…keep dreaming. not with recent history of arm issues and the coupons certain unwillingness to pick up any salary in any deal. we’re stuck with johan until the bitter end.

4. dukepatrol - Jan 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Oswalt hates freakin NY.Hello!! I guess in the end $ talks

5. mrznyc - Jan 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Sell, Fred sell

• Old Gator - Jan 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I doubt if the Wilpoons have any more intention of selling the Mutts than Scrooge McLoria does of selling the Feesh. As a Buddhist, I plan to allow my ineradicable sadness to mutate into compassion.

6. tuberippin - Jan 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I remember when the Mets were still in contention and were heavy in talks to get Roy Oswalt from the Astros in 2005. IIRC they wouldn’t give up Lastings Milledge.

I’d have taken 2005 Oswalt. 2013 Oswalt, no thanks.

7. xmatt0926x - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Oswalt won’t behave for contenders. Can you imagine what will happen with the Media and fans in NY when he starts acting like a jagoff? I don’t see how this works. The Mets seem to have the makings of a pretty decent staff. Why take on this losers baggage?

8. styx630 - Jan 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Dear god, no.

9. mazblast - Jan 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Makes no sense. Perhaps that’s why the Mets are considering it.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win