Jan 27, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
From Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe comes word that reliever Ron Mahay has retired from baseball.
The left-hander signed a minor league contract with the Reds last winter but couldn’t make it past Triple-A Louisville. He last appeared in a major league game in 2010 as a member of the Twins’ bullpen.
Mahay, who turns 42 years old this June, is now hoping to get into managing or coaching. He registered a 3.83 career ERA and a 1.42 career WHIP over the course of 14 major league seasons.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29