Jan 27, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Mike Napoli was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips during his pre-signing physical with the Red Sox, but he hasn’t experienced any problems related to the disease up to this point and received a rave review Saturday afternoon from new teammate and offseason workout partner Will Middlebrooks.
“Not at all,” the Red Sox third baseman told WEEI when asked if Napoli has shown any signs of being hindered by the condition. “It doesn’t hurt him, and he’ll tell you the same thing. It’s just one of those things that’s tough because he doesn’t have any of the symptoms, but it’s there. He’s awesome. He’s fun to be around. He’s been one of my main hitting partners during the past month. He’s going to be great for this clubhouse.”
Napoli was originally offered a three-year, $39 million free agent contract from the Red Sox front office, but that was later shifted to a one-year, $5 million deal. He will start at first base for Boston in 2013.
Doctors believe they caught Napoli’s AVN early enough to prevent it from causing long-term issues.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 5
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)