Brandon Phillips is apparently in the Beatles circa 1964

Jan 28, 2013, 8:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

The Reds had their annual Caravan thingie over the weekend. Stops in Columbus and Dayton with appearances before thousands of fans.  I didn’t go this weekend, but I’ve been to it and other things like it before. They’re cool enough.

But I’ve never witnessed quite this level of adoration:

Fans lined up in the bitter cold a full four hours before the event started. At other stops a woman fainted and girls cried in the presence of Reds all-star second baseman Brandon Phillips. On Sunday, he received a marriage proposal.

Phillips isn’t married, but I wonder if he was whether they’d hide his wife like Cynthia Lennon so as not to disappoint all of the screaming girls.

1. chacochicken - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I once threw my underwear at Jack Morris, but that was mostly out of disgust. Pitching to the score my ass.

2. cardinalcrazy - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

As a Cardinal fan, this is what I think about Brandon Phillips.

I really hate Brandon Phillips. Compared to the Brandon Phillips, I love anybody else. Let me make this clear: I hate Brandon Phillips.”

Brandon Phillips is really a little bitch. Why would anybody want to marry him?

Then he has the audacity to tap Yadi’s shin guards when he was up to bat. Yadi would have nothing to do with that!!!

• jm91rs - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

As a baseball fan I find your inability to move on from 2010 annoying.

• thomas844 - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Get over it already. Ever since 2010 Phillips has expressed that he actually has great respect for the Cardinals organization and the loyalty of their fans. He even congratulated them when they won the World Series in 2011 (promting a “thank you” tweet from David Freese). BP is a really great guy if you actually look at what he says and does outside of that 2010 incident.

• thomas844 - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM

*prompting

• cardinalcrazy - Jan 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

And he has only expressed his great respect for the Cardinal’s organization as a result of the backlash he received from the players. I’m sure when Yadi shrugged him off he thought maybe I made a mistake. Eventually had to start sucking up to them so he wouldn’t appear to be the bad guy. I understand wanting to be competitive, to get your team fired up, but there are consequences to your words and actions.

• paperlions - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM

As a different Cardinal fan, I appreciate that Brandon Phillips is a good baseball player that is highly competitive and cares deeply about winning. I am sure I would love him if he were on the Cardinals. I really don’t care about any of the rest of it.

3. hushbrother - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Jared Hughes was reportedly not among those fans.

4. largebill - Jan 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM

An unrelated Brandon Phillips note. I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day looking at preseason magazines thinking of buying one and had to leave in disgust after seeing one publication listed the Reds second baseman as “Tony Phillips.” Don’t any of those magazines have editors and proof readers?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3860)