Carl Pavano’s injury was pretty serious

Jan 28, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Carl Pavano

Everyone made jokes about Carl Pavano injuring his spleen while shoveling snow, playing off the notion that at one point in his career Pavano was often injured. But his latest injury was no joke. It could have been life threatening:

Carl Pavano’s spleen was removed last week after the pitcher was injured when he fell in the snow. The 37-year-old right-hander was hurt in mid-January at his home in Vermont and has been in a Connecticut hospital for nearly two weeks.

“He lost a lot of blood. It was very, very serious,” agent David Pepe said Monday … “They tried to control the bleeding. They did all they could to not take it out and, unfortunately, he didn’t stop bleeding and he’s been in the hospital since.”

You have to figure with surgery and an extended hospitalization that Pavano will not be pitching for some time.

1. kjkulsrud - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Do you not understand Carl? When you shave your mustache off you are going against the Universe. Ever since you ditched the stache you became injured, pitched poorly, and now lost your spleen. I think you know what you need to do here.

2. geoknows - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

People really thought a ruptured spleen wasn’t serious?

• fredverd - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

The more serious the injury, the more insensitive detractors seem. So this is what, the twelfth, thirteenth, or fourteenth season of the American Idle?

• Old Gator - Jan 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The more serious an injury is, the more vividly it reminds us of our own mortality – and, having realized this, the more we need our sense of humor.

3. jeffbbf - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM

this time the injury came just *before* he signed with a new team.

4. ame123 - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

The spleen is a vital organ in your body and he’ll have to probably take medications for the rest of his life to reduce the risks of complications from blood clots and other side effects.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Pavano is the “low hanging fruit” on the joke tree, as he earned that spot.

Still, why is a guy who has made millions in the MLB doing his driveway with a shovel and NOT a snowblower or some riding device… or why not hire someone to do it so to avoid potential mishaps?

If I had $40M banked, I’d saw the blades off the shovels and make the handles into kindling. Shovel? pfft.

Then again, if I had $40M banked, I’d be somewhere where snow can only be seen on a tv or movie screen. F*ck snow.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I agree with this 1000%. I could go outside and shovel my snow, but some kids come around and I let them shovel it and it makes them feel like they have a job and they get some cash from me. I don’t have to get off my ass and they get some cash to go buy baseball cards. Everybody wins. If I had $40M banked? I would definitely have someone hired to do that type of thing…ESPECIALLY if I am trying to get back into the game and don’t need the risk of falling and injuring my wrist, back, groin, or spleen.

• Old Gator - Jan 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM

You can live down here with a lot less than forty million in the bank assuming, that is, that you had thirty seven million or so set aside to pay your hurricane insurance premiums. Otherwise, you could live pretty cheaply. Of course, you’d only get to see your Feelies nine times a season, eat fake horrible horsemeat and Velveeta™ sandwiches made with sliced pork and queso blanco – and make some kind of amends with Tommy in the process.

• Old Gator - Jan 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Oh yeah, and you’d have to learn to maneuver safely among a million or so drivers from a large island about a hundred miles south of here which must remain nameless due to the requirements of political correctness. But assuming you cheated a little bit on your hurricane insurance and set aside a few hundred thousand for your collision deductible, you’d have some leeway to make it through your learning curve without depreciating your car all that much more rapidly than road salt would….

• beachnbaseball - Jan 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

“Still, why is a guy who has made millions in the MLB doing his driveway with a shovel and NOT a snowblower or some riding device….”

You can’t be serious! He suffered a serious injury just using a shovel. Can you imagine the carnage had he been using a snowblower? I mean there’s wheels, spinning blades, gasoline, etc. That’s a disaster waiting to happen.

• Old Gator - Jan 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

There’s that scene near the end of Fargo….

6. illogic87 - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I hope he’s alright. And I hope Craig is sorry for being a jerk and making fun of a serious injury.

7. cosanostra71 - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Are people really hating on the dude for keeping it real and doing work on his own?

• itsacurse - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Well, that’s assuming he was injured the way he claims. Ahem, CLINTBARMES http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_2791813

• Gobias Industries - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Good point. In fact, the rumor I heard was that Carl Pavano’s spleen was doing backflips on a trampoline and that’s how it was ruptured.

8. itsacurse - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You’d think people would have learned not to joke after Joba Chamberlain died during that trampolining accident. http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2012/03/jobas-injury-was-life-threatening/

• number42is1 - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

He’s dead?

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Hey, the bruised buttocks he suffered with the Yankees were also a serious injury, and pretty much captures everyone’s sentiments about Carl and his propensity for getting hurt. And I agree with the folks above: a guy as injury prone as Carl should not live in a place with snow and ice.

10. darthicarus - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I high-fived myself after shoveling my driveway this morning without falling down & injuring myself. Sadly though, I don’t believe this will entitle me to a MLB contract anytime soon.

11. tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

You think those jokes were insensitive just wait until he dies in an odd and pointless manner.

My money is on falling off a footbridge and drowning in a creak.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Dammit. I shoulda stuck with my gut and gone with “crick”.

• historiophiliac - Jan 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I sympathize. I wrote my Toronto thing in French yesterday and then changed it to English. I shoulda left it. Funnier that way.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I don’t know that I saw that….

But I bet it’s funnier if you read the English in a snotty French accent.

• cur68 - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

All French accents are snotty. To say “snotty french accent” is redundant he said snottily while nibbling cuisses de grenouilles

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Meh heh heh heh.

/Sarcastic French laugh

• historiophiliac - Jan 28, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Yeah, I was pretty sure if I wrote it in French, I’d get a rise out of Cur. I should’ve left it. Follow your gut.

12. makeham98 - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I could afford to pay someone to shovel my snow too, but for some reason I don’t want to give it up, it makes me feel old and frail to do so. I had to give in when my wife presented me with a snow blower when I turned 50. Shoveling snow isn’t that risky healthwise for an athletic person in his 30s. Just horrible timing for American Idle.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3437)