Jan 28, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. revealed earlier this month that Cole Hamels felt some shoulder soreness down the stretch last season and again when he ramped up his offseason throwing program, but he also downplayed any long-term concerns. While Hamels was similarly unconcerned about the situation in speaking to reporters before the annual Philadelphia Sportswriters Banquet tonight, he had a slightly different account of how things went down.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Hamels confirmed that he felt some soreness in September, but he dismissed it as normal wear and tear and wasn’t alarmed. However, where the two stories differ is that Hamels denied encountering any soreness this offseason. It’s hard to believe that Amaro could be so wrong about something he was so specific about, but the good news for Phillies fans is that Hamels feels fine now and is ready to go for spring training.
Hamels, 29, posted a 3.05 ERA and 216/52 K/BB ratio over 215 1/3 innings in 2012. He signed a six-year, $144 million extension with the Phillies last July.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 79
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)