Cole Hamels says his shoulder feels fine

Jan 28, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT

Cole Hamels Getty Getty Images

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. revealed earlier this month that Cole Hamels felt some shoulder soreness down the stretch last season and again when he ramped up his offseason throwing program, but he also downplayed any long-term concerns. While Hamels was similarly unconcerned about the situation in speaking to reporters before the annual Philadelphia Sportswriters Banquet tonight, he had a slightly different account of how things went down.

According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Hamels confirmed that he felt some soreness in September, but he dismissed it as normal wear and tear and wasn’t alarmed. However, where the two stories differ is that Hamels denied encountering any soreness this offseason. It’s hard to believe that Amaro could be so wrong about something he was so specific about, but the good news for Phillies fans is that Hamels feels fine now and is ready to go for spring training.

Hamels, 29, posted a 3.05 ERA and 216/52 K/BB ratio over 215 1/3 innings in 2012. He signed a six-year, $144 million extension with the Phillies last July.

1. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Not in any way saying this to spite Phillies Phans, but it’s looking like the Phils and my Mets are getting serious about contending with the Feesh for cellar-dwellers in the NL East. Between Young & Young, talking about injuries he shouldn’t be talking about, and his seeming obsession with not giving Domonic Brown a chance to play every-day OF…Amaro has to be out after this season, right?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

“Not in any way saying this to spite Phillies Phans”

Don’t worry, I for one took that for what it is. Your sincere wish. And you are not alone

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Nah, I was serious though, I really don’t have any animosity toward Phil fans, baseball fan first Mets fan second. If I hate anyone in the division, it’s the new Natitude bandwagoners. Really, I’m a big fan of Halladay and Hamels, and knowing two of my favorite pitchers are going to be watching Michael Young misplay groundballs all season is kind of depressing, no matter who you root for.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Fair enough – and presumptious on my part to say I could read your mind.

Personally, I take it as an accomplishment that so many people trash the Phillies – no one spent any time in 2003 talking about if David Bell was a good signing or not. And I always have to laugh how Nat’s fans can’t pump up there team without mentioning the Phillies 6 times

2. ame123 - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Oh please, healthy Phillies are still very formiddable and should at least contend for the WC. He’s not going to lose his job unless there are a few bad seasons in a row.

• pefsu13 - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I say this as a Phillies fan: You realize that we’ve gotten worse (in terms of final standings) every. Single. Year since Pat Gillick left and Roob took over after we won the WS in 08. My prediction for this year is that they flounder somewhere around .500 and he’s let go around the All Star break.

• ame123 - Jan 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM

final standings mean NOTHING! Regular season standings tell me about the strength of the team. Playoffs are a crapshoot.

• dwdive - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’m pretty sure the Phillies set a franchise record for wins in 2011. Pretty sure that Pitching staff put up one of the best all time seasons and numbers ever. I’m not saying it was the best pitching staff ever, but they are definitely in the convo. Ruben has done a good job keeping this window open as long as possible. He’s made some really bold and good moves along the way, with a few clunkers as well, but that’s the nature of the beast. It’s not his fault when your 3 best hitters were hurt the past 2 seasons. That’s just luck and chance. I’m good with Ruben as my GM. With that said, this Phil’s team the way it is constructed has another yr or 2 to realistically contend. I’m ok with the 2 Youngs coming in and a move for Revere. Better than wasting a ton of money and prospects for the Upton brothers. That’s not going to work out well in Atlanta, you will see. That team is = to the all hype team.. Nats are the biggest threat, but they are young and have been relatively healthy. A bad yr out of one or 2 of those guys and an injury or 2, and they will end up just like the Phillies last season

3. eagles512 - Jan 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM

If you mean they’ve been eliminated earlier every year, that’s true. But they actually increased their win total in 09, 10, and 11.

• crkmiec2013 - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM

finally, someone who knows what they are talking about

• dwdive - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Exactly, I don;t understand the hate for Ruben. The Phillies still have money to spend, but Ruben is trying to spend it wisely rather than go all in like he did is recent yrs. Every time you go all in money wise and prospect wise, it just sets you back in further for the future. This is still has a ton of talent, and they will be a good team and should contend for at least another yr or 2. This team has a lot of ifs, but they don;t need ALL of them to pan out, just most. The key is health. Id this team stays relatively healthy, the will at least make the playoffs and contend for the div.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3505)