Jan 28, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. revealed earlier this month that Cole Hamels felt some shoulder soreness down the stretch last season and again when he ramped up his offseason throwing program, but he also downplayed any long-term concerns. While Hamels was similarly unconcerned about the situation in speaking to reporters before the annual Philadelphia Sportswriters Banquet tonight, he had a slightly different account of how things went down.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Hamels confirmed that he felt some soreness in September, but he dismissed it as normal wear and tear and wasn’t alarmed. However, where the two stories differ is that Hamels denied encountering any soreness this offseason. It’s hard to believe that Amaro could be so wrong about something he was so specific about, but the good news for Phillies fans is that Hamels feels fine now and is ready to go for spring training.
Hamels, 29, posted a 3.05 ERA and 216/52 K/BB ratio over 215 1/3 innings in 2012. He signed a six-year, $144 million extension with the Phillies last July.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)