Frank Thomas: steroid users had a “secret society”

Jan 28, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT

Frank Thomas

Frank Thomas made the media rounds over the weekend. We talked about his general thoughts regarding the Hall of Fame and PEDs on Saturday.  Here’s something else he had to say:

“I’ll be honest with you. It was a secret society,” Thomas said. “I had no idea. I think I was the one guy that when they were having that conversation they would stop quickly when I walked in the room. For many, many years I had a lot of teammates involved and I had no idea it was going on the way it was going on. There were always rumblings about one or two guys, but to know the numbers that really came out, I was really, really shocked.”

Thomas was always more outspoken than others about PEDs in baseball, even when he was still playing, and is typically described as a clean player by the media.  Still, it would not shock me at all if some people still accused him of stuff, Bagwell-like, late this year when the Hall of Fame game returns to the news. You wonder if he knows that too and offers this kind of stuff as a preemptive measure to the inevitable “why didn’t you do more” junk people will try to throw on him.

1. chacochicken - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

You were too big to fit in the tree house, Frank

2. raysfan1 - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I expect not only to see some columnist speculate that Thomas may have actually done PEDs but to cite Lance Armstrong’s angry PED denials/lawsuits/eventual admission as part of a “The Big Hurt Doth Protest Too Much” theme.

3. mrfloydpink - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Either he’s lying or he’s stupid.

4. jarathen - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I think they called themselves The No Homers Club.

• heyblueyoustink - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM

5. sdelmonte - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I remember how Lex Luthor took over the Secret Society of Steroid Users from Gorilla Grodd. That green kryptonite-laced PED was really effective.

6. Ben - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I’m sorry, but there’s almost no way he didn’t know. And if he didn’t, well, can I be his online girlfriend? I’m totally real, but I am dying of ebola. That’s not a backhanded accusation against Thomas, but given what we know about steroids culture in MLB it’s almost literally impossible.
    It also just plays into this silly idea that there are white knights and black knights in baseball. The cheaters and the good guys. The world isn’t so simple. But it is clever on his part to try to tap into our adolescent fantasies of what sports are.

7. thebadguyswon - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Shut up Thomas. Really.

• badintent - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Thank you ! Kenny Willams and the Blue Jay fans( frank was a bust in TO after his 39HR season in Beane town )

8. palehose56 - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Frank Thomas advocated for testing as early as 1995. This ends the conversation. Time to finally give the Big Hurt the attention he deserved and celebrate his career.

• Ben - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

So did Lance. Screamed “tested” at every possible turn. That doesn’t mean a damn thing necessarily in Frank Thomas’s case, but we’ve learned passing (or advocating) drug tests doesn’t mean a thing.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM

To hell it does. If guys like Piazza are going to get punished, so is the Big Hurt. Still waiting for evidence you Thomas homers have that implicates Piazza and clears Thomas. Other than “thumbs down”. I’ll wait.

• paperlions - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Does it count when you advocate for something that you know has no chance of happening? Steroid testing had 0% chance of happening in the mid-90s (it wasn’t even an issue the owners cared about, the only reason they ever suggested it was as a negotiating ploy, something you don’t even want but you can “give up” as a concession).

Politicians advocate for things that they know has a 0% chance of happening all the time. Public stances are often for show. I have no ability to distinguish Thomas’ public stance from reality because I don’t know him.

• historiophiliac - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Dang, there’s no winning with you guys.

9. heyblueyoustink - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Somewhere, Dan Brown is reading this and we will ultimately see a movie about the Pope providing steriods to the players directly.

• badintent - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Funny ! nice one.Love DanBrown and his crusade with Ron Howard. too bad the Red Sox can’t prove they have an owner or management or anything else for that matter. But they sure do have some finger licking good chicken and potang in the clubhouse. Go Hazel

10. blingslade - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Nice try but Frank’s a liar. Everybody was involved with PED’s/Roids. You name the player and yep, he is/was on something.

You don’t think Melky Cabrera was on roids when his batting avg. all a sudden went thru the roof?

You don’t think Frenchy was on roids when his batting avg. all a sudden went thru the roof? and then when Frenchy got that big GUARANTEED contract all a sudden he can’t play baseball anymore, I wonder why?

How about Jamie Guthrie? You don’t think he was on roids when all a sudden he went from being baseballs worse pitcher to practically a Cy Younger? See, now he’s got that big fat contract and this year he’s going to be off dem’ roids and right back in the cellar.

AND THESE ARE JUST THE ROYALS I’M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!! It’s an EPIDEMIC!!!!!!!!

• sophiethegreatdane - Jan 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I coherent much also. LOUDLY!

11. jeremysgordon - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I always believe in football players from Auburn when it comes to cheating and steroids.

12. blockedprospect - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM

So, if I understand this quote correctly, the “secret society” appears to have been: literally everyone not named Frank Thomas?

13. coloradogolfcoupons - Jan 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I imagine the players shut up because they hated him. I know I did, then and now. He knew, and probably used. He was just a jerk, and teammates didn’t want him in ANY conversations

14. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM

When will one of the writers write the article that “everybody who played baseball between this date and this date is suspected of steroids so they all should be treated the same and let’s move on”? It is so stupid to try to distinguish between whether this guy did this and his head grew and his balls shrunk and he had back zits and his arms got bigger and he hit more home runs this season and this guy drove the ball better that season and this guy healed faster than the other guy and who did what!!!! ENOUGH ALREADY. THEY ALL DID STEROIDS. Vote for all deserving or none!!!

15. badintent - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Michell report. JUST MAKE THE ENITRE LIST PUBLIC AND GET IT DONE WITH.

• badintent - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM

ENTIRE, SPELLING POLICE

16. rickdobrydney - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Thomas —a big , whiny baby from WAY back——

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3950)