Jesus Montero “learned how to run” this offseason

Jan 28, 2013, 4:50 PM EST

Jesus Montero AP

Not only is Jesus Montero one of the slowest runners in baseball, he runs … well, let’s say oddly. Jeff Sullivan of the Mariners blog Lookout Landing once described Montero’s running style as like “stepping on creaky floorboards and you’re trying not to wake up a baby.”

And as Greg Johns of MLB.com reports, Montero spent the offseason trying not to run so slowly and oddly:

“I spent a lot of time running and working on my techniques about running,” he said. “That’s what I did. I ran a lot and I learned how to run. Because last year … you know I’m slow, but I want to run a little better and gain a little more speed and all that. So that’s what I did, just run.”

Montero said he worked with a running specialist from Venezuela, as well as an instructor the Mariners sent to help him after observing his upright, awkward style in his first year in Seattle.

So does he feel faster now? “I feel good,” Montero said with a smile. “I’m learning how to run a little more beautiful, a little better, you know?”

I was going to make a joke about the absurdity of a 23-year-old professional athlete not knowing how to run, but then I remembered I’m a 30-year-old man who never learned how to shave with a non-electric razor and has instead spent the past decade with a constant five o’clock shadow like some sort of Jewish Don Johnson. Maybe I should go to Venezuela in search of a shaving expert, is the moral of this post basically.

1. Old Gator - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Well, he had already learned how to walk. That’s good. How old was he when he was finally potty trained?

2. Francisco (FC) - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I can recommend a few.

3. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM

It doesn’t really apply to learning how to run, but learning how to shave is like many other things in life: do as much research as you want beforehand, you’re still only going to master it by failing, and failing miserably, and failing many times, and feeling like and idiot while you rip toilet paper into tiny squares and curse the name Gillette.

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

An idiot*
      E D I T F U N C T I O N.

4. raulduke11 - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Clearly BSOHL

5. robertjamis - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Man, this should really impact Montero’s ability to hit baseballs. Heck, imagine how good Mike Piazza would be had he learned how to run.

6. cur68 - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

What does Jesus need to learn to run for? Man can walk on water, he’s gotta no run on it now? Sweet Jesus Montero, where will it all end?

• paperlions - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Good point. Obviously, he ran like he was running on water and trying not to sink into it.

7. number42is1 - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

If Eli manning can learn to slide Jesus can learn to run

• mazblast - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Eli should teach Tammy Brady how to slide.

Yes, I know that has nothing to do with Jesus Montero, but it’s always fun to take shots at Giselle’s consort.

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Did he learn how to hit righties? With a .298 OBP he will not have too many opportunities to practice his new-found running skills unless he learns to (a) hit righties, and (b) hit in Seattle.

9. joerymi - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Now he needs to learn a new position.

10. mazblast - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:01 AM

His post-season hitting stats may be unmatched–1.000/1.000/1.000. I hope he gets a chance to improve on those numbers.

11. hep3 - Jan 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Aaron,

Jewish Don Johnson? Really? Kind of scary.

12. ctony1216 - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM

It amazes me that a whole bunch of pro baseball players don’t take advantage of modern sports training and conditioning programs the way football and basketball players do. The Yankees actually have a strength and conditioning coordinator, and so it’s hard to figure why Montero and/or the Yankees wouldn’t have dealt with this issue years earlier.

13. genericcommenter - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM

They came out with these very safe very cheap razor blade system things like, I don’t know- 25-30 years ago or more?

I’ve only been shaving for around 18 years, and I started when I had only sideburns. It was one of the easiest things to do.

In fact when I was 18 and making enough money I thought I had some, I spent like a $100 on an electric shaver. I never learned how to use that thing. It just seemed odd. And it was supposed to be top-of-the-line, close gentle shave thingy.

14. genericcommenter - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

As far as learning how to run, I don’t think it’s very intuitive. Though everyone can run to an extent, there is technique for maximizing speed and efficiency. There are any number of things that if no one really gives you pointers you will never learn how to develop. I mean, I don’t think most people intuitively know how to throw a football or even a baseball in an effective way, and good coaching makes a difference.

Sure people have a natural instinct to flee on foot, but for a lot of us it’s just a whole lot of frenetic movement and not the most efficient way to get somewhere.

15. bigmacmantle - Jan 30, 2013 at 3:39 AM

The Mets had Jose Reyes change how he ran to try to reduce hamstring problems but then it made his back hurt.

Found this:

“…the Mets tried to get him to change his running style during his rehabilitation. He wound up with back pain and was sidelined until June 19.”

Found this:

“… he’s literally re-learned how to run, shedding the awkward-looking stride a conditioning coach counseled him to adopt.”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester