Jan 28, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Rosenthal reports that Overbay has other teams interested besides the Brewers, but he played in Milwaukee in 2004-2005 and probably won’t find a better opportunity for playing time with Hart expected to miss 3-4 months.
For now Mat Gamel is expected to be the starting first baseman in Hart’s absence, but he’s unproven in the majors and has a lengthy injury history of his own. Overbay hit .259 with a .727 OPS in a part-time role for the Braves and Diamondbacks last season at age 35.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 7
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 33
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)