Jan 28, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Rosenthal reports that Overbay has other teams interested besides the Brewers, but he played in Milwaukee in 2004-2005 and probably won’t find a better opportunity for playing time with Hart expected to miss 3-4 months.
For now Mat Gamel is expected to be the starting first baseman in Hart’s absence, but he’s unproven in the majors and has a lengthy injury history of his own. Overbay hit .259 with a .727 OPS in a part-time role for the Braves and Diamondbacks last season at age 35.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 52
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)