Michael Kay signs a multi-year extension with YES Network

Jan 28, 2013, 4:34 PM EST

Michael Kay

YES Network just announced that Michael Kay has signed a multi-year extension to remain its lead New York Yankees play-by-play guy:

“We are pleased that Michael will continue to play a vital role here at YES,” said John J. Filippelli, president of production and programming at the YES Network. “For the past decade on YES, Michael has been the voice of the Yankees, deftly capturing the drama, intensity and passion associated with the greatest franchise in sports.

Kay has been at YES Network since it launched in 2002 and has been doing Yankees broadcasts in one form or another since the mid-90s.

I know some people like to nitpick him, but (a) just about every broadcaster can be nitpicked; and (b) Kay, even if he isn’t your cup of tea, has always seemed pretty solid to me.  Then again, I may only watch three or four Yankees games a year when Kay’s at the mic. But that same number of games is enough to turn me way the hell off of some other broadcasters. The key for me is whether someone is actively assaulting. Kay is not that, and I don’t mean that to be faint praise.

1. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I have watched a couple of thousand Yankee games in my life time and have listened to Kay for more then the good part of a decade now. yes your right there are worse and I CAN listen to him most of the time. Though I tend to have noticed for maybe 3 or 4 Years now I would tune into the other broadcasters maybe 40 to 50 times a season instead since I have the MLB network online. He sometimes gets distracted and goes off from what goes on about the game…I do like his see ya! home run shout though..he is meh for me really

2. professor30 - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Kay is tolerable but is there anything worse than John Sterling and Susan Waldman doing the Yankee radio broadcast? You’d think a team like the Yankees would have better announcers.

• twoseam2007 - Jan 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

That is the worst broadcast duo in sports. I hate them.

• bigharold - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

” .. but is there anything worse than John Sterling and Susan Waldman..”

Tim McCarver and Joe Buck, .. hands down not even close! I absolutely can’t listen to them.

3. tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I wish I could remember who use to do the Devil Rays broadcasts because one of the guys who talking about a stadium built next to a farm in the minors, and one of the Rays batters hit a ball that went over the wall, onto the farm and landed in a pig’s mouth….

So then he pauses and says “It was the first time in history someone his an inside the pork home run”

And then there is about 15 seconds of dead air and his partner goes “Aaannndd next up to bat….”

That was the greatest moment in baseball broadcasting history.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Well….that one is rife with typos.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

But, pork was intentional right?

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The important part of the story was correct.

God if I had said “Park” I would probably just delete my account and come back under a new name and come back as a giant troll.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

- 1 “come back”

This is not going to be a good night for me. I already can tell.

4. smoochytherhino - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I watch a ton of Yankee games and a ton of other games as well. I have to say that while the focus is obviously on the Yanks as the hometown broadcast, Kay gives credit where credit is due to the opposition and doesn’t deny reality in order to make the home team sound better than they are.

For a guy that is paid by the Yankees, he is often honest and speaks frankly about their failings, and is not shy about praising the opposing team. That to me is biggest problem with most other local broadcasts. I’m all for homerism, but not when it goes so far as to delve into a fantasyland.

• butchhuskey - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Kay is a pretty big homer.

• explodet - Jan 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

No more than any other broadcaster. He gets appropriately hyped by big plays, regardless if they happen for the Yankees or the opposition. That’s a lot more than you can say for most play-by-play guys.

5. sbmcintosh36 - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I’d rather listen to Kay fire one out than listen to John and Susan on the radio….who does she have pictures of??

6. butchhuskey - Jan 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM

The biggest problem with Kay is he gets overly excited at unimportant moments (he makes Brett Gardner infield singles seem like game winning grand slams) and rehashes the same talking points game afte game. For example, he always
    mentions how the definition of a balk being “deceiving the runner” is stupid.

7. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

The only good thing about Michael Kay was the fake Michael Kay twitter account:

“Hey fans! Pettitte perfect through 4! Suck it, Goebbels!” *

“Hey fans! Anyone want to hear how I’d call Dale Earnhardt’s death? Track, wall, see ya! My canned lines work everywhere!”

“Hey fans! Also having a hard time getting my Italian restaurant off the ground. The signature dish? Pasta Diving Jeter! OHHHHHH!!!!!”

“Hey fans! Suicide watch back on! Mariano’s shoulder hurts! Time to kill myself with a stapler from WB Mason. Who But WB Mason?! See ya!”

*the real Michael Kay once compared the old sports announcers’ superstition about mentioning a no-hitter in progress to Nazi Germany and slavery (check this** out if you don’t believe me).

**http://www.waswatching.com/archives/2006/08/michael_kays_ra.html

8. m3dman3 - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Awesome! Michael Kay rocks!

9. joerymi - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Gotta imagine the NY rags wanted him to leave simply so they could drop one of their oh-so-clever headlines…”SEE YA.”

10. pisano - Jan 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM

He’s no Mel Allen, but who is. Kay is very tolerable, but the guy I miss is Jim Kaat, he took time off when his wife was sick and eventually passed, then he wanted to come back a couple years later, but the Yankees told him they had filled his position. There is no one more knowledgeable about the game than Jim Kaat, the Yankees loss, but MLB’s gain.

11. louhudson23 - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I like Kay because he seems as happy to be able to watch a game as I am….I always loved Ernie Johnson Sr. for the same reason.

12. sandwiches4ever - Jan 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

In unrelated news, my mute button has just asked for a raise.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester