Jan 28, 2013, 4:34 PM EDT
YES Network just announced that Michael Kay has signed a multi-year extension to remain its lead New York Yankees play-by-play guy:
“We are pleased that Michael will continue to play a vital role here at YES,” said John J. Filippelli, president of production and programming at the YES Network. “For the past decade on YES, Michael has been the voice of the Yankees, deftly capturing the drama, intensity and passion associated with the greatest franchise in sports.
Kay has been at YES Network since it launched in 2002 and has been doing Yankees broadcasts in one form or another since the mid-90s.
I know some people like to nitpick him, but (a) just about every broadcaster can be nitpicked; and (b) Kay, even if he isn’t your cup of tea, has always seemed pretty solid to me. Then again, I may only watch three or four Yankees games a year when Kay’s at the mic. But that same number of games is enough to turn me way the hell off of some other broadcasters. The key for me is whether someone is actively assaulting. Kay is not that, and I don’t mean that to be faint praise.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (346)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (175)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)