Jan 28, 2013, 4:34 PM EDT
YES Network just announced that Michael Kay has signed a multi-year extension to remain its lead New York Yankees play-by-play guy:
“We are pleased that Michael will continue to play a vital role here at YES,” said John J. Filippelli, president of production and programming at the YES Network. “For the past decade on YES, Michael has been the voice of the Yankees, deftly capturing the drama, intensity and passion associated with the greatest franchise in sports.
Kay has been at YES Network since it launched in 2002 and has been doing Yankees broadcasts in one form or another since the mid-90s.
I know some people like to nitpick him, but (a) just about every broadcaster can be nitpicked; and (b) Kay, even if he isn’t your cup of tea, has always seemed pretty solid to me. Then again, I may only watch three or four Yankees games a year when Kay’s at the mic. But that same number of games is enough to turn me way the hell off of some other broadcasters. The key for me is whether someone is actively assaulting. Kay is not that, and I don’t mean that to be faint praise.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)