Jan 28, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
The Dodgers and Time Warner issued a press release. The network … is … go!
The Los Angeles Dodgers ownership group created American Media Productions, LLC (AMP) in December 2012 to launch a new Los Angeles Dodgers regional sports network. Today, AMP announced its plans for SportsNet LA, the new regional television home for the Los Angeles Dodgers beginning with the 2014 Major League Baseball season. In addition to being the exclusive local home for all of the Dodger games, SportsNet LA will provide comprehensive behind-the-scenes Dodger programming, featuring more insights, analysis and commentary about the team than ever available before.
All of the principals are quoted and, in grand press release tradition, are “delighted” about this, that and the other thing. Still waiting for the press release that cites ambivalence and non-specific ennui.
The key takeaway for baseball fans here is that the Dodgers are going to be rolling in TV cash for the next couple of decades, and every personnel move they make should be considered against that backdrop. Think of it as the way we thought about the Yankees until about two or three years ago. They will make good deals and bad deals like any other team, but the margin for error is huge because they can eat bad contracts and try again with someone else if things don’t work out. At the same time, there will likely be more pressure for the team to avoid rebuilding periods because they have to consider the TV product — always be exciting, always be relevant — a bit more than some teams do.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20