Jan 28, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
The lastest move from Ruben Amaro:
Sources told MLB.com today the Phillies and right-hander Chad Durbin have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, pending a physical. The deal includes a club option for 2014. Durbin, 35, pitched for the Phillies from 2008-10, when he helped solidify the middle innings.
Jerry Crasnick says the deal is for $1.1 million with some incentives.
Durbin is useful, and his ERA was a bit misleading last year after he began the season with a few disaster appearances before settling down into a reliable groove. Anecdotally (he pitched for the Braves last year) he seemed to give up more hits and walks and allowed more inherited runners to score than he actually did. I have no idea what to make of that. Vexing really. Especially the inherited runner part. In reality he allowed only 11 of 44 to score, which isn’t bad. So I’m wondering why I have this irrationally dour view of his performance last year. Probably has a lot to do with Fredi Gonzalez using him in some high leverage situations rather than go to his better relievers, thereby causing me to subconsciously transfer my anger at the manager to the pitcher. Whatever the case, it probably says an awful lot about the irrationality and subjectivity of being a fan, especially when it comes to bullpens.
Oh well. He is another new face in the Philly pen, which desperately needed a makeover. If things break right, he and Mike Adams could turn what was a profound weakness last year into a strength. It’s little moves like these which tend go unnoticed until a team exceeds expectations and then someone writes the “how are the Phillies doing it?” article.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)