Jan 28, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
The lastest move from Ruben Amaro:
Sources told MLB.com today the Phillies and right-hander Chad Durbin have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, pending a physical. The deal includes a club option for 2014. Durbin, 35, pitched for the Phillies from 2008-10, when he helped solidify the middle innings.
Jerry Crasnick says the deal is for $1.1 million with some incentives.
Durbin is useful, and his ERA was a bit misleading last year after he began the season with a few disaster appearances before settling down into a reliable groove. Anecdotally (he pitched for the Braves last year) he seemed to give up more hits and walks and allowed more inherited runners to score than he actually did. I have no idea what to make of that. Vexing really. Especially the inherited runner part. In reality he allowed only 11 of 44 to score, which isn’t bad. So I’m wondering why I have this irrationally dour view of his performance last year. Probably has a lot to do with Fredi Gonzalez using him in some high leverage situations rather than go to his better relievers, thereby causing me to subconsciously transfer my anger at the manager to the pitcher. Whatever the case, it probably says an awful lot about the irrationality and subjectivity of being a fan, especially when it comes to bullpens.
Oh well. He is another new face in the Philly pen, which desperately needed a makeover. If things break right, he and Mike Adams could turn what was a profound weakness last year into a strength. It’s little moves like these which tend go unnoticed until a team exceeds expectations and then someone writes the “how are the Phillies doing it?” article.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 28
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 47
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)