Jan 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The Phillies have just announced that they’ve signed Yuniesky Betancourt to a minor league deal with an invite to major league spring training. Likely because Ruben Amaro wants me to be happy.
Betancourt hit .228/.256/.400 with seven homers last season and over the course of his career he has been one of the most consistent out-creators in all of baseball. And his defense is poor, despite the fact that he occasionally makes a highlight reel play out of instinct and/or accident.
All of which shouldn’t be the worst thing ever seeing as though this is a minor league deal. Except that the Phillies have a history of giving veterans on minor league deals a decent amount of playing time once the season begins. Juan Pierre and Mike Fontenot each got a lot of playing time for Philly after signing minor league deals last year.
So pray for Jimmy Rollins‘ health, Phillies fans. Pray hard.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12