Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Joe Saunders ranks fourth on Matthew Pouliot’s list of unsigned free agents, but indications last week were that he’s close to choosing a new team and apparently there’s at least one offer on the table from Minnesota.
Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com reports that the Twins “are waiting to hear back” from Saunders’ agent and their “preference” is a one-year deal, but a team source speculated that he’s still looking for multiple years and may prefer to pitch elsewhere anyway.
Twins president Dave St. Peter was our guest on this week’s “Gleeman and The Geek” podcast and made it very clear when we interviewed him Saturday that the team has plenty of payroll space to make a late addition or two. St. Peter didn’t name Saunders specifically, of course, but starting pitching obviously remains the Twins’ biggest priority and he’s been linked to Minnesota all offseason.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)