Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Joe Saunders ranks fourth on Matthew Pouliot’s list of unsigned free agents, but indications last week were that he’s close to choosing a new team and apparently there’s at least one offer on the table from Minnesota.
Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com reports that the Twins “are waiting to hear back” from Saunders’ agent and their “preference” is a one-year deal, but a team source speculated that he’s still looking for multiple years and may prefer to pitch elsewhere anyway.
Twins president Dave St. Peter was our guest on this week’s “Gleeman and The Geek” podcast and made it very clear when we interviewed him Saturday that the team has plenty of payroll space to make a late addition or two. St. Peter didn’t name Saunders specifically, of course, but starting pitching obviously remains the Twins’ biggest priority and he’s been linked to Minnesota all offseason.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)