Vinny Rottino is headed to Japan

Jan 28, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Chicago White Sox Getty Images

Vinny Rottino, who played 36 games for the Mets and Indians last season, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Orix Buffaloes in Japan.

Peter Jackal of the Racine Journal Times reports that Rottino will get $350,000 in guaranteed money and another $100,000 in potential incentives, which is a pretty good score for a 33-year-old who spent most of the past decade in the minors.

Rottino has racked up 1,140 games and 4,686 plate appearances in the minors, with more than half of that time coming at Triple-A, and he’s always produced pretty well while playing catcher, first base, third base, and the outfield corners, yet he’s totaled just 110 plate appearances in the majors while hitting .165.

1. digbysellers - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM

He’s my cousin

• Gobias Industries - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Hey, he’s my Dad’s cousin, too! Dad?? Dad is that you?? Dad, why did you leave me and Mom when I was only eight? You said you were just going to get some milk. But you never came back. It was my fault, wasn’t it? It’s because I colored on the wall, right? Dad, Mom married Frank after you left, you know. He never liked me too much. When he came home drunk at night, well he…he…forget it. I don’t want to talk about it. I got into drugs in Middle School. Got a girl knocked up in High School. Spent some time in prison after I dropped out of school. It’s been a tough life, Dad. I’m so sorry I made you leave. I’m sorry. Can’t you forgive me?

Oh crap, I just remembered my Dad’s cousin’s name was BENNY Rottino. Forget I said anything.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The linked article is two weeks old. So basically, a 36 year old guy who nobody ever heard of is signed to a contract in Japan two weeks ago, and it makes its own blog entry here? OK.

• mscott4 - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I’ve heard of him. He’s a University of Wisconsin. – La Crosse grad and from the Kringle country.

Why don’t you start your own baseball blog and then you can decide what is news worthy and what isn’t?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

LOL

3. Joe - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

The Racine Journal Times scooped the big boys on this one, didn’t they?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yeah two weeks ago LOL

• jwbiii - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

The Japanese sporting press (Nikkan Sports, Sponichi) had this a month ago.

• Gobias Industries - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Nostradamus had this in 1562.

4. cosanostra71 - Jan 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Bring back the Blue Wave!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3886)