Jan 28, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Vinny Rottino, who played 36 games for the Mets and Indians last season, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Orix Buffaloes in Japan.
Peter Jackal of the Racine Journal Times reports that Rottino will get $350,000 in guaranteed money and another $100,000 in potential incentives, which is a pretty good score for a 33-year-old who spent most of the past decade in the minors.
Rottino has racked up 1,140 games and 4,686 plate appearances in the minors, with more than half of that time coming at Triple-A, and he’s always produced pretty well while playing catcher, first base, third base, and the outfield corners, yet he’s totaled just 110 plate appearances in the majors while hitting .165.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 24
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 68
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (108)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)