Jan 28, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Last offseason Rivera got $4 million in guaranteed money from the Dodgers, who ended up buying out his 2013 option for $500,000 after he hit just .244 with nine homers and a .661 OPS in 109 games.
Once upon a time Rivera was a decent regular who thrived against left-handed pitching, but he’s always been sub par defensively and has never fared particularly well versus right-handers. And in the past three seasons he hit just .270 with a .763 OPS against lefties, so at age 34 it’s not even clear he’s a good part-time option considering the Yankees also have Matt Diaz and Russ Canzler to fill the same role.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)