Jan 28, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Last offseason Rivera got $4 million in guaranteed money from the Dodgers, who ended up buying out his 2013 option for $500,000 after he hit just .244 with nine homers and a .661 OPS in 109 games.
Once upon a time Rivera was a decent regular who thrived against left-handed pitching, but he’s always been sub par defensively and has never fared particularly well versus right-handers. And in the past three seasons he hit just .270 with a .763 OPS against lefties, so at age 34 it’s not even clear he’s a good part-time option considering the Yankees also have Matt Diaz and Russ Canzler to fill the same role.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59