Jan 28, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
I can assure you that Yuni will be signing a major league contract. Currently, there are four teams we are in conversations with and we expect to be finalizing a deal shortly after the holidays.
Couple things. One, there was no “finalizing a deal shortly after the holidays” because Betancourt signed today: January 28. Two, after saying “I can assure you that Yuni will be signing a major league contract” Esteban ended up getting Betancourt a minor-league contract with a team that has four clear-cut starting infielders (Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Michael Young, Ryan Howard) and a younger utility man candidate (Freddy Galvis).
It’s not Esteban’s fault that no teams really wanted Betancourt–good job, teams!–but man … agents sure do like to reinforce the stereotypes an awful lot.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 0
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 15
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)