Jan 29, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
David Schoenfield is one of my favorite baseball writers, but I saw this in his latest post and just can’t agree:
The more I think about the report out of Miami, the more I think we’ve seen the last of Alex Rodriguez in a major league uniform.
Schoenfield is not the only one to say this today. Several writers — many who should probably know better — have declared A-Rod’s career over today. And I simply do not see how we get from here to there via any reasonable path.
As I noted earlier today, the Yankees are not going to void A-Rod’s deal. If they try it won’t work so they probably won’t even try. That leaves A-Rod with five years and $114 million left on his contract. He’s not walking away from that.
What might happen? He may get suspended for 50 games, after which he would come back. He may — if the Yankees simply get totally disgusted and hysterical about things — get released. In which case 29 teams can have Alex Rodriguez’s services for the league minimum. Back to Schoenfield:
When he was on the field last year for the 122 games he played in the regular season, Rodriguez was still reasonably productive, hitting .272/.353/.430.
That, I think, is the alpha and omega here. It’s not anywhere close to being worth his contract, but it’s quite useful from someone making almost no money. He’s not some monumental flake like Manny Ramirez. If healthy, he even has some defensive value. Someone would take a chance on him. The only factor would be the strength of his hip, not his status as a media pariah.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 33
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 47
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 23
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)