Jan 29, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
For almost his entire career — certainly since he signed that first mega contract with the Texas Rangers — the sports media and sports fans have dumped on Alex Rodriguez. He has been mocked, slammed, jeered, attacked, baited and sometimes slandered pretty constantly since 2001. Yes, he has often brought a lot of that on himself, but there is no disputing the fact that, at best, his legacy, as of, say, a week ago, was pretty poor. A good player at times with a history of PED use who, no matter the case, is somewhat silly at best, despicable at worst.
So, to suggest that this latest bit of unseemliness coming out this morning tarnishes his long-since-tarnished legacy is a kind of rich. Yet it’s being suggested. Here by Danny Knobler:
It’s not getting any better for Alex Rodriguez now. He’s not coming back from this hip surgery and this steroid scandal the way he did from the last one. That one scarred him. This one finishes him off … This week’s story simply cost him whatever little piece of his legacy he still controlled.
At least until the next time he makes some misstep or another. Then we’ll once again say “oh, now he’s done it. A-Rod has really stepped in it here and his legacy is now toast.”
Please. His name is mud. The same media which repeatedly declares it as such made it that way. Let’s not get a case of the vapors now, after all this time. Instead of picking up the brickbat to once again take a few swings at Rodriguez, how about talking about PEDs in sports in a reasonable way and looking at this story for purposes other than A-Rod destruction. Because that stuff is old hat.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 2
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 69
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)