Jan 29, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
For almost his entire career — certainly since he signed that first mega contract with the Texas Rangers — the sports media and sports fans have dumped on Alex Rodriguez. He has been mocked, slammed, jeered, attacked, baited and sometimes slandered pretty constantly since 2001. Yes, he has often brought a lot of that on himself, but there is no disputing the fact that, at best, his legacy, as of, say, a week ago, was pretty poor. A good player at times with a history of PED use who, no matter the case, is somewhat silly at best, despicable at worst.
So, to suggest that this latest bit of unseemliness coming out this morning tarnishes his long-since-tarnished legacy is a kind of rich. Yet it’s being suggested. Here by Danny Knobler:
It’s not getting any better for Alex Rodriguez now. He’s not coming back from this hip surgery and this steroid scandal the way he did from the last one. That one scarred him. This one finishes him off … This week’s story simply cost him whatever little piece of his legacy he still controlled.
At least until the next time he makes some misstep or another. Then we’ll once again say “oh, now he’s done it. A-Rod has really stepped in it here and his legacy is now toast.”
Please. His name is mud. The same media which repeatedly declares it as such made it that way. Let’s not get a case of the vapors now, after all this time. Instead of picking up the brickbat to once again take a few swings at Rodriguez, how about talking about PEDs in sports in a reasonable way and looking at this story for purposes other than A-Rod destruction. Because that stuff is old hat.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)