Brian Schneider is retiring from baseball

Jan 29, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT

brian schneider getty Getty Images

Brian Schneider told Mandy Housenick of The Morning Call on Tuesday evening that he is hanging up his catching equipment for good:

“It hasn’t been an easy decision, but there are a lot of factors,” said the 36-year-old free agent. “You don’t want to retire, but you think of your family and I think more than anything it’s physically how you feel. I’d kind of like to leave on my own terms and not have my last impression of baseball be someone telling me I can’t play. But there is a lot going on in my life and I’m very fortunate to have a great family and start being a dad and being around more often and being a good husband.”

Schneider registered a .247/.320/.369 batting line, 781 hits, 67 home runs and 387 RBI over the course of his 13-year major league career. He played for the Expos, Nationals, Mets and Phillies while earning a total of $22.4M.

1. missthemexpos - Jan 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

And another former Expo calls it quits, thanks again Jeffrey Loria.

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Scrooge McLoria’s marketing department wanted me to let you know that he’s delighted to see that at least one Expos fan is grateful to him. Out of his boundless generosity, he’s reserving a pair of 2013 world series tickets for you and a significant other to see the Feesh play the Angels at Macondo Banana Massacre Field.

2. cowboysoldiertx - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM

He will be a manager somewhere, someday.

3. dcfan4life - Jan 29, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I love how he said there were a lot of factors going into his decision. When most guys retire theres really only one factor, no one called or showed any interest. In his case im sure thats the main reason.

• ezthinking - Jan 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Back up catchers can get a job forever. It’s whether a minor league contract and a spring training invite is worth the pain, mentally and physically.

• dcfan4life - Jan 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Sure, backup catchers in their 20s, not one who is 36…

4. Utley's Hair - Jan 30, 2013 at 1:13 AM

A local boy who came back home and did great for hishometown team. Thanks for backing up Chooch, Brian. Good luck in the future. (I’m guessing you’ll stay in touch with Vanimal.)

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Well said. I will always remember him for two things:

– for this play – crucial out in a crazy game

– and for his insane line in 2011, Phillies were 28-8 in games he started. Granted, that was not due to him really…but it was crazy none the less!

• dhower92 - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

He actually isn’t from Philly. I went to the same high school as Brian in Northampton, PA (just outside of Allentown). His family has a long athletic history here and was really my school’s only claim to fame. It’s a shame to see him go. Dude was a class act.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

The area is Phillie country, right? That’s what I meant.

5. lyon810 - Jan 30, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Former expos dropping like flies…

6. dodger88 - Jan 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM

How many former Expos are left at this point. If Juan Rivera makes the Yankees he’d be one.

• alicesweetofnorfolkva - Jan 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I count 13 who are not totally retired, some of whom may be unlikely to actually play again: Jamey Carroll, Javier Vasquez, Juan Rivera, Maicer Izturis, Val Pascucci, Scott Downs, Livan Hernandez, Carl Pavano, Miguel Batista, Luis Ayala, Bruce Chen, John Rauch, and Ted Lilly. Izturis is the youngest at 32.

• sargespeak - Jan 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Cliff Lee was in the Expos system prior to being traded to the Indians.

7. greymares - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Not many better at handling a pitching staff but the weak bat is the reason he’s not backing up somewhere in the league. Brian is one of the realty checks for me of what it takes to be a star in M.L.B. which he wasn’t of course but following him in high school i was convinced he would someday be in the hall of fame.

8. seahawks19081 - Jan 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Why does it matter how much he made over his career? What do you make a year Drew? Why not throw that out there?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3692)