Jan 29, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
So he’ll likely make the team and secure a spot in the Opening Day rotation at age 36, but the Padres can delay any roster decisions because he doesn’t have to be added to the 40-man roster yet.
Garcia had a 5.20 ERA in 107 innings for the Yankees last season and is running on fumes velocity-wise, but posted his best strikeout rate in years and had a 3.62 ERA for New York in 2011. And of course Petco Park is a good spot for any pitcher.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 33
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)